86 vbelts question

gem6.9

Reaction score
hello, has any one changed there v belts over to serp. belts, can it be done , i just had all my belts go on the freeway and there only a year old, what year did they switch over and is it pos. to change my 86. thanks for any help

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've had my alternator belt fly off a few times now. The serpentine conversion could be done, but from what I understand, they are not bullet proof either. Have you tried using ford/motorcraft V belts? I've heard that brand can matter with these because they are so long and tend to slap.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gates makes very good belts, they got a special no-stretch models that were used in ambulances. The solution to the slapping at idle is to either put an idler in there, or run a shorter belt, I did the second thing and my belt only runs from the water pump to the alternator - much less slap now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The change over year was 92. I have 2 complete sets to do this. The vacuum belt guide is no longer made so try to find the vacuum pump in a wrecking yard. Its much easier to just buy the complete vacuum pump, pulley and giude than find the parts seperately. Then you will need the ac hose low and high pressure side. They come as one piece. There are 2 aluminum brackets everything mounts on so buy those. The serpentine belt ac pump is special to that setup only too. The power steering pump can be reused off the Vbelts. Now you need the pulleys and shims. Then the Alternater and your done. It sounds like lots of work but its well worth it in the end.. P.S... You will need the belt tensioner and the idler. I like the adjuster that has the shock absorber on it.

gem6.9

Reaction score
86 vbelts

thanks, thats good news to here, and i will be calling around to find some wrecking yard parts. you say 92 is the start and do you know what year is the latest i can use the parts off of to convert mine over. thanks a bunch!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'92-'94, and watch out for the '94 models cause that's when the PSD came out too, and PSD parts to my knowledge are pretty different from IDI stuff.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Gates makes very good belts, they got a special no-stretch models that were used in ambulances. The solution to the slapping at idle is to either put an idler in there, or run a shorter belt, I did the second thing and my belt only runs from the water pump to the alternator - much less slap now.

what belt p/n are you using that would be great im tired of seeing that thing slapping around like that

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The slapping alternater belt can be slowed down by using a shorter belt. It does not go around the crank pulley/// Only goes around the alt and the water pump pulley. Works for some...

gem6.9

Reaction score
86 vbelts

thanks for findinding that pn for us, i checked every wrecking yard around and no one would let them parts for serp. change over go without the whole motor $2000, i think my extra pulley i put on about a year ago for belt slap caused the belt to break and took out my other belts, i will take that pulley out and get this shorter belt and try it. thanks and good job on finding that part # for us.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, it only required me getting outside and opening the hood :D Do try it tho, my belt still slaps a bit but nothing even remotely close to what it was before, even more so cause my idle is now lower which generally increases belt slap.