86 IDI tries but won't start

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very first thing I do to these trucks when I get them in is to change the glow plug module.
they are kind of pricey @ 120 bucks.
but its less of a hastle.
the glow plug "coil" has been bad on 2/3 of the trucks ive purchased

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I don't have the cord and it's currently 100+ degrees outside.

HERE is a brand-new heater on eBay, just the cable is almost the same price, so may as well get the full setup to have an extra.

If it's 100+ outside, you SHOULD not need your plugs at all, honestly. Or your fast idle. I know when I'm in Tucson, that even if my truck has sat for a week, if it's in the afternoon and it's hot outside, it fires the plugs for maximum of 2 seconds, and goes straight to regular idle. Also true if I leave my plug system off (I have a disable switch for the controller). Could be different for every engine depending on the kind of life it's had.

EDIT: A compression test couldn't hurt.

Last edited:

kt8429

Reaction score
Have you checked your shut off solenoid mine did something like that if it's as warm as your saying gp will not keep it from starting and if u used starting fluid or either it should have fired right up on too if the ip there are two wires to the right side of the return line the one furthest foreward is the shut off with the key in it should have power with it on unplug it if u can't hear a clicking sound a fairly noticeable sound it's bad and u can crank all u want it will never start have you checked for fuel at the injectors ?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
If the engine shakes and knocks when using starting fluid, it means the engine is too warm. The starting fluid is igniting too soon and trying to make your engine turn backwards!

When you replaced the injection pump, did you remove the gear housing?

Sometimes these IDIs can take some time to bleed the air out of the injectors. If you are getting smoke, it sounds like you are getting fuel tho.

The engine has to spin fast enough to light these engines off, especially if the timing is off, which it probably is, since you haven't even started it yet. :)

I would abandon the glow controller and go to a manual system. At least bypass it until you get the engine running. The old 6.9 glow plug controller is just a bunch of burnt up glow plugs waiting to happen. If it hasn't already.

Check the wires supplying the power to the relay at the connector. Often these connectors will corrode/burn up and be a high resistance connection at high amps, like when you are trying to glow your plugs. You will still get 12 volts at the relay!

Oh, and you absolutely need power to the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid ( the big spade connector on the IP). Again, it sounds like you do because you are getting smoke.

I have had good success using starting fluid to start engines that I have done a lot of fuel system work on. I don't usually run into weather that is too hot.
Last week we had so much snow it broke 4 big branches off my Elm tree. :eek: Granted that is unusual even for here.

Good luck getting it started!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk