86 F-350 Dually CC 2WD Parting out?

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you may remember my post about the engine dying on my truck back in September. Oil analysis showed I have bearing problems. It's killing me to say this, but I've decided that I can't justify the time or, more importantly, the money to rebuild/replace the engine. I have decided that I want to part out the truck :( There's a lot of good parts on this truck as most of it has been rebuilt/replaced at some time. I will be listing it in the Marketplace, so take a look there, and let me know if there's something you're interested in. I am located in eastern PA. I haven't taken anything apart yet, but if you want something, I'll try to get to it as soon as I can. (I do plan on keeping the front clip and using it on my 82 F-150). It was rebuilt from the frame up just a few years ago (reconstructed PA title) so lots of new parts. Here's a picture from just after putting her back on the road:

Todd

Attachments

• 042606019.jpg
    042606019.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 29

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah, she's to complete to part out.
Living in the rust belt, I'd hate to see something that nice get canibalized.

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... In a way, I'd rather sell it whole, hopefully to someone who will put her back on the road. Problem is, with a bad engine, and a reconstructed title, technically, it's worth a lot more in parts than whole. The major parts that I know are worth something are the turbo, the US Gear OD/UD. Plus a bunch of smaller things. For instance the tires have only a few thousand miles on them, they are worth something? The cap (if I sell that with it) Plus the spare bed I have for it...
I honestly don't know what would be a fair price, or what I'd ask for it whole... Let me think about that a little...
Todd:dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it undriveable with the motor issue you are having? Just thinking about how someone will transport it.........:D

Heath

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
salvage title with bad motor or not, this one should get a third chance to someone here. Even me being the consummate cannibal of these trucks, I'd find a way to revive it;p
one more note.....
I've been looking for that style rim for some time....
sorry, the cannibal side of me is coming out.:eek:

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the engine quit it was because the injection pump shaft broke, and the harmonic damner. The shop where it was towed to, put a new dampner on and injection pump, and started it. They said there was a knock in the engine, and I was able to have the injection pump returned (they wanted something like $1200 for it). So, the short answer is, there is no injection pump installed now, and the one I have is a core. Also, the shop removed the gear housing and gear, so all that would have to be reinstalled just to see if it was driveable. I really don't know how bad the knock was, but that is the reason I had the oil analysis done, and Blackstone said I had bearing problems. I can provide a copy of the analysis if someone wants it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested, I documented the reconstruction, and some of the pictures are here: http://gallery.phalengard.com:8000/truck_project
This was completed just about three years ago.

Towcat, If I remember correctly they are Weld Racing rims, they are not perfect, but the polish up pretty good.
just looked at your photogallery....
that was a shitload of work done to the truck:eek:
did you straighten the frame or put a newused one in?

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a good price on a complete used frame, The original was twisted slightly and the right front axle was bent around the radius arm. I T-boned a subaru that rolled through a stop sign in front of me... Bad accident, but the engine was untouched and I THOUGHT, had a lot of life left in it... I've put about 30k miles on it since...
The frame was cleaned with an angle grinder and wire wheel to remove the surface rust, and painted with POR 15. all the body mounts and bushings were replaced. The cab was lifted about a half inch with aluminum stock, just to give some clearance for the turbo and downpipe, which I installed at the same time. Lots of other stuff done too... too much to get into now.
And yup, it was a lot of work. I spent better than a year doing all that in my spare time. That's why it's killing me to do this.
Todd

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just too much time and effort to just scrap her. You gotta keep her and rebuild the motor or sell the whole truck. It'd be a real shame to sell her off piece by piece.

Heath

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engines are getting easier to find nowadays with craigslist n all.

sd2649

Reaction score
Either way you cut it, you will be discarding the engin, right?? Well how much for the heads and possibly a piston??? I need heads and a piston, you need a new lower end and IP, put it together and we have at least one good engine! If you will not part the engine, maybe someone could go halves on it with me???? You could just part the engine and cover some of the cost for a replacement, keep the truck!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker