86' 6.9l blowing fuses

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
The horn didn't work when I bought the truck, so I looked in the manual to find the horn fuse, and figured out it was blown. I bought some new 20amp fuses and it blew immediately. So I tried it for a second time - same result. Anyone have ideas? Thanks!

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
My guess would be that there is a short/ground in that circuit somewhere. Probably the horn itself maybe. i would follow the wires and look for anything that is extremely corroded/broken/loose, if nothing is found, then replace the horn.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
My guess would be that there is a short/ground in that circuit somewhere. Probably the horn itself maybe. i would follow the wires and look for anything that is extremely corroded/broken/loose, if nothing is found, then replace the horn.
Alright. I'll take a look at the wiring. Gonna get a pair of horns anyway.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
To bump this thread, I realized the fuse goes to the horns and cigarette lighter. However, the previous owner cut the cable on the cigarette lighter, so it isn't connected. Could this be the issue?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the positive wire the PO cut, and that wire is touching metal (ground) somewhere, then yeah, it'll blow the fuse right away.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Alright, I have to revive this thread with some questions.

So I was looking into why the horns weren't working, but then I remembered the cruise control on the truck doesn't work either.

Another forum post told me that on the models with cruise control, the horns and cruise control shared a relay, otherwise there was no relay for the horns.

Which leads me to the question - has the horn/CC relay gone bad?

If so, where is said relay located?

And would this be the cause of the fuse blowing immediately?

Thanks!