82 steering column into 86

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would a tilt steering column with cruise control from an 82 econoline van (460) be a direct swap into my 86 f250 (6.9)tilt with cruise also. I think there is a short somewhere in my existing column that is frying the ignition switch upon replacing.

Just hitting the blinker shuts the whole truck down and kills the switch.. ***..

Thanks

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive never tried that exact swap but I believe the van columns are completely different.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the van column is like the 73-79 truck column. I know the gear indicator is on top of the column in the vans like the dentside trucks were.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the van column is like the 73-79 truck column. I know the gear indicator is on top of the column in the vans like the dentside trucks were.

Yup, gear indicator is on top instead of in the dash. It looks like the aluminum plate with the four bolts that holds up the column is in the same spot though.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive never tried that exact swap but I believe the van columns are completely different.

Everything looks to be identical up until the tilt break in the column. I could be wrong only glanced this mornin before work. Van is in a buddy’s junkyard

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I also wasn’t able to look at the plug connectors to see if they were identical. Really don’t want to have to cut anything in the wiring

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fyi the 87-91 truck columns are the same as the bullnose once you swap the mounting bracket and plastic shroud. Figured I'd let you know in case you find one in good shape.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And Wes gets the win! They won't interchange. I've tried it before. IIRC, the steering box is a lot closer to the cab on a van so the steering column is much shorter than on a truck.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blind squirrel will find a nut eventually I guess, I’ve got a bunch of columns here if you cant find one closer