#8 Exhaust Manifold Bolts...both broken...

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
So I got the manifold all cleaned up and new bolts/washers. Fel-Pro metal gasket as well. Went to clean up the head and found the rear hole on #8 that's been giving me trouble with a surprise attached. The bolt had been previously broken and someone before me apparently already tried to drill and extract it with no luck. I gave it a good try, but the firewall gives little to no room for access. Looks like the heads will have to come off for a proper repair. Also looks like either some cracking/cut near the bolt hole. (See pic)
Since the truck is my daily driver I did the best I could making sure both surfaces were nice and true, reassembled with the new gasket and 7 bolts torqued to spec. Surprisingly it's all sealed up and sounds much better. No more leaks for now at least. Granted, I know I'm running on borrowed time here. For now she'll run and hopefully I've got a good parts truck on its way in a few days that will give me an opportunity to get it fixed right.
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. Thats a sad looking head and flange. Getting it off the engine is really the best way to fix it. Actually if it cracked like the pic shows I probbaly would replace the head. Sad what some shadetree mechanics do to metal parts sometimes. Any chance you can get a very small harbor freight c clamp on tha ear. Or some cheap vice grips. anything helping hold that corner tight to the manifold may help. Who really cares what it looks like. Just adding some clamping force is what you want. Now if the head comes off and so does the other head. That damaged area will now be the front cylinder on the other side of the engine..:sly

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thirst for the knowledge of the question, "how does this thing work" began under the shade of an old elm tree with my father as my mentor (Glenn Ford Brown). Yes a shade tree mechanic! I learned tools and there proper usage from, Yes a shade tree mechanic! He worked as a mechanic in allot of garages. But he got his knowledge the same way I did. From his father. Yes a shade tree mechanic.

My dad passed away at the age of 42 under that old elm, working on his 55 Ford Ranch wagon from a massive stroke. The last thing he said to me was, Son hand me that 9/16 wrench. A tribute to the life of an old shade tree mechanic.

Sorry but the phrase brings back strong memories and feeling

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many a lesson was taught under a shade tree. I learned from my father too. I was so sad when I learned I knew more than dad. He was my hero and taught me humility and compasion for others. Thats why I hang around these parts offering help to others. Am just passing along what dad taught me and others of cource. If we don't pass along what we know well then it dies with us... Thats a horrible waste of knowledge.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more icanfixall. One that was passed to me by my grandpa (knowledge not shared is worthless).