77 F250 highboy 6.9L idi swap begins!

64rarebird

Reaction score
Got home a little earlier then expected from my work road trip very tired but had to do a quick test fit of the idi , so far from what i can see the highboy frame has a extra crossmember that has to go and it looks maybe a notch on the front crossmember again these are very early measurements, was just a quick test fit
You must be registered for see images attach

64rarebird

Reaction score
Well got some more done got the idi in place damn big engine in the narrow highboy frame, spent alot of time trying to get the thing level and clearing the starter,steering box, steering shaft etc also going to have to do some trans tunnel clearancing ,had it sitting in place and started making up the engine mounts tacked them together know have to remove everything and weld them up solid renforce where needed, but so far looking good!

64rarebird

Reaction score
Just a update if anybody is considering this swap it is a ton of work, nothing to difficult but very time consuming and i am a licensed auto tech with a fully equipped shop and at the current estimate i have well over 80 hours invested so far , but its coming together all in and plumbed up just need to do the 3g alt install and its ready for a road test! Loving the 4" exhaust sitting in the shop cant wait to finally test this beast out hopefully this weekend

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. These IDIs are big mothers. Those older trucks had style. Nice combo.

You will doubtless have noticed from looking at trucks with IDIs that they have a big mother of a cross member...

Seems to me you oughta slap some new felpro valve cover gaskets on there before putting everything together. Or if it's the head gaskets weeping, try retorquing the heads. I think I've finally got my truck leaking no oil, but now I can smell fuel and I haven't even touched the fuel stuff in ages. probably olives, which I have... somewhere

64rarebird

Reaction score
Sorry been along time since any updates , have been putting the truck to work ever since the swap, currently have put around 3000 miles on it since the swap and loving it!! Gets very good fuel mileage for a big truck with only a 3 speed auto (overdrive in the future) Have had no big issues come up few minor clearance issues here and there mainly contact vibrations, still have to get a drive shaft made up and balanced the one i have been using is one i made up in the my shop it works but does have some vibration/droan on decel not 100% straight i am thinking. But anyway if anybody is considering the swap its alot of work but well worth it in my opinion, tows awesome good fuel mileage and turns a ton of heads at the diesel pump. overall a awesome truck!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, have any pictures of the project as it is? How low did the front end drop and was it stock springs? I know my 77 Highboy has a tremendous stock leaf pack up front

64rarebird

Reaction score
Havent taken any recent pics, the truck really didnt drop in the front much at all or if any , however my front leafs are new so that is likely the reason, do have to get my rear leafs done or replaced now with the diesel its just to tempting to haul more then i should and the rear of the truck does sag down pretty bad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726