7.3t engine removal questions

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have decided to just swap my 7.3t due to low compression and just install another 7.3t. So I have a few questions. Just fyi I have removed and re-installed a few engines (bmw m50, and a 350 chevy) but nothing as heavy and tall as this thing is.

1. Does the turbo need to be removed before the engine comes out?

2. Can I leave the e4od in place and will I need to support it? (The reason I ask is because I had a e36 bmw with the m50 engine and the engine and transmission needed to come out as a unit due to clearance issues (no tool access to top transmission bolts)

3. Can I retorque the head bolts on new to me engine,(I would like to turn up the injection pump and boost at some point after pillar Gauges of course
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated
Here are a few pics of the engine and the truck it came out of
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never done a turbo but I've done a couple na's. You'll need a floor jack or something to hold the front of the trans up. You will want to be able to adjust the height of it so blocks of wood won't work. I removed the hood, radiator and fan iIRC. Remove the oil filter. I used a standard hoist I bought from autozone. 2 ton I believe. I think it is only rated for 1000 lbs with the arm fully extended, which is needed to clear the core support. It was overloaded but felt stable enough, did it no problem.j

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i installed mine with the turbo on.
i used an engine leveler tho. and no transmission in place.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would drop the transmission, remove turbo, and front clip (Although not required at all, makes it a lot easier)
On re-torque, been said not to. But if you can swing it, just do head studs. New head gaskets at least.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dressed 7.3's are heavy as hell... I've muscled 302s and Clevelands around on a good crane, but the 7.3 is a beast and maxed out my crane. I'd definitely advise dropping the transmission and opening up the front clip.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd remove the turbo, support the trans with a jack, and remove the hood. If you pull the radiator, fan, shroud, and at least the crack pulley, you don't have to remove any other body parts unless you really want to. Just last wednesday, I had a guy watch me pull the engine out of my Bronco after telling me that it wouldn't come out. It does make it a little easier if you can raise the front of the engine a little or turn it to the side. Just watch your hoses and wires at the back of the engine compartment.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 turbo can stay, found it easier then trying to get to the mounting hardware.
2 pull the carpet back, remove the trans cover to access the top bolts and drop the trans. The engine hoist is going to be pretty much fully extended to reach on a 4x4. That eng is enough weight on a automotive hoist, adding the trans isn't asking for trouble, it's begging on your knees for it. If you got something heavier, great, if you feel like leaving it on by all means. Easier with at least the core support removed. Less height, little safer.
3 dunno. Never been terribly concerned about it.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine came in a day late, I haven't been able to tear into her yet but I did get a few pics before going back to work.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Nice N Clean. Just recently pulled my 7.3t. Kept turbo in place, unbolted and supported transmission. I also had the radiator core support off as I'm replacing it due to rust. Which looks like that is a non-issue with your WA location.

Goodluck! I've pulled 2 7.3 idi in the past year and they are heavy, but work smart and use the shortest pole you can. My el-cheapo hoist even has 4 different holes from 1/2ton to 2 ton settings. Engine leveler would be real nice, but I've never had that luxury. I may buy one though before mine goes back in in a few weeks.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally have had time this weekend to pull the old engine out, I'm having some issues with the final lift out.

I have removed the radiator, fan shroud, all the brackets, starter, oil filter , and the Transmission bolts and the torque converter bolts, and I have removed 4 engine mount nuts on either side is there more mounting bolts or nuts?

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I pulled the engine on my truck, I took the front tires off and supported it to where the rotors were just off the ground. I feel it helped a ton getting the 7.3 over the core support, and doing it by myself it definitely made me breathe a little easier having that extra foot to work with. The mounts can be a pain to get undone sometimes, maybe put a little lift on the hoist and pry on them a bit with a big breaker bar. Also, keep in mind you're going to have to bring it forward to clear the dowel pins on the trans for it to go up.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the engine out of the truck after a few good shakes and moving the arm on my engine hoist, now is anyone interested in a rebuildable idi turbo engine.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad yer done getting it out, now what doing ...got another engine to insall or what?

Really it's not all that difficult to pop em out with a bit of persuasion it usually just slides out like butta!

Good luck with INSTALL eh ;)

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I bought another turbo idi from salvage yard and there are a few pictures above. Money is tight and the in-laws arn't to fond of a greasy 1000 lb engine being around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online