7.3L Rusted oil pan options ??

RJMorrow

Reaction score
Ok, well I have a severely rusted oil pan and I am wondering what method to take in fixing it.
The entire pan is not rusted, its just two REALLY bad spots. Just behind the starter the metal is falling off in chuncks and I expect paper thin.
So, has anyone succesfully patched a pan like this? If so how?

Or should I just suck it up and replace the pan altogether, which I understand requires the engine to be out. And on that topic, does anyone have a ballpark weight for this ('95 psd) engine.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
We have had good luck with JB Weld. You have to drain the oil, clean the pan very good, let it set overnight so it is good and dry. Then apply the JB Weld in a couple of thin coats, like bondo. I have seen this patch last for 3 of 4 years.

If anything you can give it a try and if it does not work, commence on replacing the pan.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know how much this stuff costs...we use it in industry so sometimes the cost isnt a factor.

B[URL="Belzona"]elzona[/URL]

The long block weighs in at + or - 1000 lbs.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Another vote for Jb weld although I can't say how long it lasts it works good for now anyhow I got about a 6" patch on a DT466 pan and no leaks

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
call the ford dealer and ask for the 7.3 diaper.its a fiberglass cover that goes over the pan.you have to drain the oil,clean it REAL good,and i MEAN REAL CLEAN!!!!slather on the adhesive.put the diaper on and use a jack to hold it up on the pan overnight.i havent used it myself as my pan is perfect,not even surface rust.but have heard many success stories about it and no unsuccessful repair using the diaper.

sassyrel

Reaction score
call the ford dealer and ask for the 7.3 diaper.its a fiberglass cover that goes over the pan.you have to drain the oil,clean it REAL good,and i MEAN REAL CLEAN!!!!slather on the adhesive.put the diaper on and use a jack to hold it up on the pan overnight.i havent used it myself as my pan is perfect,not even surface rust.but have heard many success stories about it and no unsuccessful repair using the diaper.

cost??? never heard of this--bet not many others have either--cool

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i just painted my flaky oil pan with POR15 last weekend. we'll see how long it holds.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Rob did you paint over top of the POR 15? It needs to be top coated to last. (no UV protection)

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
no, i figured i'd scuff sand it and hit it with another coat next oil change, when i have the filter off again. BTW the instructions state it doesn't have to be top coated to last as a rustproofer, only for cosmetic reasons.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cost??? never heard of this--bet not many others have either--cool

dont qoute me on it but i think it was somewhere around 150.00 but i could be way off.ive never seen it.i was told about it from a shop that uses them all the time and makes big money by using that and charging for pulling the engine and replaceing the pan when they did nothing but put a patch on it,crooks!

RJMorrow

Reaction score
Do you think there should be concern of a patched pan rusting internally? I figure my luck I will get it patched nicely, meanwhile chunks of metal are falling off inside the pan, or am I worrying to much?
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Russ, I see you are close by, do you live in the town?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I changed mine when it started to weep through the metal, I did it with the engine still in the truck, I lifted it about 4 inches and two of us had to put the new one in due to the pick up being bolted in the front, one of us held the pan low while the other one rebolted the oil pickup back on the motor, then put the pan up,
Also while i had it apart i installed a new clutch pack.
It was a major pain in the ass but it gots a new pan :D

yoslick

Reaction score
I'd JB it or if ya got access to an acety/oxy torch you could braze on a new section of sheetmetal.....

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
My vote is to change the pan. They rot from the inside out

:bswould need some proof of this I have never seen an oil pan rust from the inside out including the DT466's that seem to need changed out every couple years. Not to mention I have never seen anything rust thats continuously coated in oil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin