7.3 turbo help

Stankienstien

Reaction score
just bought this banks turbo last night, know that i need a y pipe and a u pipe but what else do i need?
turbo part number is 24920 any info on the your experience would be great!

plan on doing a 1-2 inch body lift when i go to install the turbo so i dont have to hammer the firewall to much.

truck is a 1991 f250, got about 189k on it right now, just replaced the injectors have a boost-pyro-trans temp gauges.
zf5

tired of hearing and feeling my truck struggle for air, i need more power:sly

here are some pics of the trubo.

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_20150906_092142984.jpg
    IMG_20150906_092142984.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 82

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
intake hat or other means to get the air into the intake manifold, air filter, 4" exhaust, pedestal or other means to mount the turbo and drain oil back into the engine, CDR relocation, and maybe some other small things im just not thinking of right now.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots missing, hope you didnt give a lot. Just sayin. I do have some awesome mods for that turbo.

Stankienstien

Reaction score
Lots missing, hope you didnt give a lot. Just sayin. I do have some awesome mods for that turbo.

spent 300 had the opportunity to get the other banks turbo he had for another 150. what type of mods are you talking? rather stay away from increasing the boost over 15 psi, dont wanna risk stripping the head bolts.

just saw you were from newberg, just picked the turbo up yesterday in eugene, if you got anything to help ill drive up and buy it off you, thats if you're selling

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ...selling turbo parts...hmmm...doubt it...no really he is a guru with the hqir dryers...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
15 lbs of boost will not strip out the head bolts. I was making nearly that much hauling heavy for over 100,000 miles and never even stretched a bolt or lost a head gasket. My engine was stock built factory but I have Banks install a sidewinder wastegated turbo so I knew it was done correctly. That was when I was a know nothing about these engines. Long time ago now. Any old timers here can tell you about me. But please remember. No matter what you think of me. I'm just a guy that knows a little about a few things. Rus aka typ4 has forgot more about turbos than I will ever know. He has helped me many times.

Stankienstien

Reaction score
15 lbs of boost will not strip out the head bolts..

Rather avoid going over 15 lbs of boost, i know that these engines can handle more with the right mods, but thats not what i want to get into.

either way i just need to be pointed into the right direction to find the parts i need, from there i can figure it out when i get under the hood. id rather not go into an exhaust shop and have them make me a Ypipe that i have to fight with to get to fit

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spent 300 had the opportunity to get the other banks turbo he had for another 150. what type of mods are you talking? rather stay away from increasing the boost over 15 psi, dont wanna risk stripping the head bolts.

just saw you were from newberg, just picked the turbo up yesterday in eugene, if you got anything to help ill drive up and buy it off you, thats if you're selling
that generation Banks turbo uses trans specific Y-pipes. When you are sourcing for the pipes, you need to be specific on what kind of auto trans or what kind of manual trans.

Stankienstien

Reaction score
that generation Banks turbo uses trans specific Y-pipes. When you are sourcing for the pipes, you need to be specific on what kind of auto trans or what kind of manual trans.

havent found anything on the web so far, at least not while sourcing for a zf5 y pipe. im thinking of just having a shop fab one up.

still need a list of what other parts im going to need so i can get pointed into the right direction.