7.3 sometimes starts, dies after starting

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If filter is full, it does not seem to be an air problem. I would lean towards blocked supply line or bad lift pump. I guess something could have got into the line between the lift pump and filter head. Seems unlikely but I've seen odder things. Lol

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By replacing the rubber hose on the frame, you basically have drained the entire fuel system upstream of the frame since it is lowest point of the fuel system. Although you may have fuel in the fuel filter you may not yet have fuel to the injectors. Crack open the nut on each injector line and crank until you see fuel come out of all of them. Then tighten down and try to light her off. Make sure you crank no more than 15 seconds and allow at least 45 seconds between each cycle to save your starter. This process requires ALOT of cranking so don't run your batteries down because if you don't have a full charge there's no way you will have enough rpms to light off. You can speed up this process by putting a rag over your tank filler and having a buddy shoot pressurized air in the tank while you crank, this will pressurize the tank and help fuel be forced to the injectors.

FYI don't use either unless you fully disconect your glowplug relay.

Otherwise you will have much bigger problems than air in your fuel lines.

Like engine parts playing ping pong inside your engine.

93IDITURBOPOWER

93IDITURBOPOWER
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm picking up 10 ft of diesel line and just going to replace all the rubber. Also replace the steel line from the pump to the filter with clear line. I made a post earlier and going to bypass the FSV also straight to the front tank. I'll let you know how it goes. If that doesn't work then I'm guessing new lift pump is dead or something.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you end up replacing the lift pump (which you should be able to return it) I would spend a little more money and get an electric fuel pump, you will be much happier when priming the engine.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Found the problem. Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump took a crap on me. Thanks guys!!

Just to make sure..... you are only using the electric pump, and the mechanical pump on the side of the block is bypassed?

If not, DO NOT push fuel through the mechanical pump with an electric. The diaphragm can perforate and fill the crankcase with diesel...... engine bearings don't like diesel.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin