7.3 sometimes starts, dies after starting

93IDITURBOPOWER

93IDITURBOPOWER
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on here, I usually manage to fix my truck by reading all the articles because everyone is so detailed on how they do everything. So here's the Skinny..... I've had my 93 7.3 turbo idi for about a year now, with 200,000 on the clock. She has been running fine up until about a month ago, one korning i noticed the classic diesel leak, and hard start, so I replaced the return lines. Ran good, everything went well up until 3 night ago. I was on my way home from school and my fuel filter light went on and that caught my eye right away, then the truck dies, takes a couple of times to get it to started again..... Needless to say, it was an interesting drive home. Finally get her home, next day I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump (lift pump) whatever. After that I Crack my line to my IP to purge the air out, diesel sprays I tighten the cap, go back, the truck turns on. Takes about 10 secs to start, runs for about 30 secs then dies. After that I've tried a handful on times to start her, and its only started 2 times and only ran for 10 secs max before crappin out.

Any ideas?? Is my tank sucking air not fuel? Are my injectors shot? The front injector on the driver side injector leaks ever so slightly. Could that cause it?? Stock injectors and IP also...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the rpm go up before it dies? If it ever does that it means you are getting air into the fuel system. Welcome to the forum!;Sweet

93IDITURBOPOWER

93IDITURBOPOWER
Reaction score
Thats for the quick reply! I love this forum. It's surges for a sec or 2 then dies. So ya.. It sounds like it's skipping a beat or something.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Replace the rubber line between the frame and lift pump.
Normally they're already pretty worn, then you go in to replace the lift pump and it'll crack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily, that line never sees positive pressure, always a vacuum since its moving fuel that is being sucked by the lift pump. I would replace all rubber lines that haven't been replaced already. Check filter head for leaks or bubbles (pour a little diesel on the top) the heating element is a common leak spot. Check condition of all fuel olives, Type4 is the source for new olives.

93IDITURBOPOWER

93IDITURBOPOWER
Reaction score
Alright, so I replaced the small piece of rubber line from the lift pump to the frame. My IP is alright, no leaks or anything. So I tried turning on my truck and now.it just cranks. It doesn't even sound like it wants to start.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Press the schraeder while cranking. Perhaps your lift pump is dead

93IDITURBOPOWER

93IDITURBOPOWER
Reaction score
Just got it to start, ran good for about a min then started sputtering. Changed lift pump and fuel filter yesterday. But the fuel filter light came on before it died.

93IDITURBOPOWER

93IDITURBOPOWER
Reaction score
Started it again, ran out and was pushing the schrader valve. At first it was sputtering but coming out good. Then, it went totally dry??? No fuel, nothing. Then died again. Is the head to my fuel filter messed up?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is sucking air. Wild guess if you pulled the filter now, it would not be full. If it is still full I would guess a problem with the new lift pump

You can isolate the tanks and FSV. Take the input off of the lift pump and put it in a 5 gallon can of diesel. Just remember all that fuel is going to get pumped to your fuel tank. You can get around that by running a line from your fuel return line. I don't have a turbo so someone with one will have to give advice on that.