7.3 prechambers in 6.9

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that the 7.3 prechamber is a fair amount larger than the 6.9 prechamber. Would this have any possible power advantage over the 6.9 prechamber?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... It has a wider mouth and a slightly differant swirl design inside.

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So could I simply take the prechambers out of a 7.3 and put them into my 6.9?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. The 7.3 chambers are all we can buy anymore.... They all have an 88 stamped into them... They are really expensive because of the material they are... From what I have heard they are made out of inconel material. Its a very hard high grade abrasion resistant steel that reacts well with continued heating and cooling. I used to tig weld that inconel almost everyday for 3 years. We would cut off worn out steam turbine diaphram blades and weld them back up. Then grind and power file that back to the same profile as what was originally there. One day I found out why other welders always wore a t shirt under there long sleeved shirts. I had a small tear at the edge of one of my pockets. I burned my chest really badly from the bright lite of welding... Really a good lesson learned... Funny nobody would tell me that....:eek::angel:

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of an old 7.3 someone has laying around near me that I could get them out of so price isnt a big issue.

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is involved in removing these things? And has anybody tried this before?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heads need pulled (duh) then idk it looks like they are pressed in so they problly need pressed out

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To remove the precups there is a special tool but.... Nobody makes them any longer so... For me the easiest way to remove the cups is remove the injectors and make a brass rod. Round the end and just stick it in the injector bore then hammer the cups out. Now the hadr part... These cups have a designed installed height. They can be 2 1/2 thousands above or below the head. Thats all.... Don't think you can install them deeper or have them sticking out more than that. They will causea agsket leak if they are higher up that that.. A member had that issue some time back. Check them for corner cracks. You can use them with some crack but it can't cross the gasket fire ring...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.