7.3 IP on 6.9?

1992camarors

Reaction score
Well I think I have ruled my IP as being worn out on my 6.9. In the local junkyard there is a f350 7.3 idi diesel that I have been snatching parts off for cheap. I was wondering since my IP is going bad would it be worth the 20 bucks to buy this used IP of a 7.3. I was thinking it would fit, but I wanted to check first. And would the injectors work in my 6.9 if they are in good shape?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes it will work fine, without any modification, just take the old one out and put the new one on. For $20 even if its a bad pump, your not really out all that much. Go for it, and yes the injectors will work fine as well if they are good, take them out and have them pop tested to see if they are still good.

1992camarors

Reaction score
Would turning up the fuel on my 6.9 IP now, compensate for the wear in my IP? Cause I"m getting tired of the hard starts and white smoke.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd do it. No guarantees on it, but if that IP is good you'll have scored a nice deal. No need to swap injectors unless yours are bad. You just want them to be all the same.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run a double dose of Power service Diesel Clean through it. It will help if the injectors and IP are gummed up. Before you start changing parts, try to advance the timing some. Loosen your IP bolts and turn the pump to the passengerside of the engine. Only move a little at a time, use the timing mark on top for a reference. If no marks, make one so you have a spot to go back to.
I have done this before on a weak IP and has worked out well, kinda a band-aid fix but will help for awhile.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I've got an 88 7.3 IP on my 87 6.9 works great, $20 bucks go get it and if you don't want it ship it to me I'll give ya $80 for it!

1992camarors

Reaction score
Now is there a diagram on how to do this because I do not know to to advance the timing on these engines? Like what bolts am I sapposed to loosen and such? Where exactly can I buy Power service Diesel Clean at?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the main thing is that you do not want to adjust the timing with the engine running...too risky in terms of major pump or engine damage. Second you do not want to remove the two 5/8" bolts on top of the IP gear cover that hold it on. If you do it could jump timing, then you'd have to get the teeth lined back up...not good. You want to loosen the three 9/16" nuts on the pump mounting flange on the pump to gear cover studs. They are up against the back flange of the pump and they are pretty tough to get at, especially that bottom one. It gets easier if you remove the fast idle solenoid. If you want to advance the pump, you want to loosen those nuts maybe a couple turns so that you can wiggle the injection pump. It will not move much within its design limits, but remember that they are extremely sensitive. Save your current timing mark by marking where the pump flange is now in relation to the timing mark on the flange of the gear cover. To advance the timing, rotate the pump as a whole to your left, that is toward the passenger side of the vehicle as seen from the front. Retarding the timing is of course the opposite. Something a little easier is to put 12 volts DC directly to the cold timing advance solenoid on the IP once the engine has warmed up, and observe if it runs better before you mess with all that. This can be accomplished by jumping a hot wire from the positive post of either battery directly to the smaller terminal on the injector pump. Mel Agne has an Injection system service article that is in "IDI Tech Articles" that says all this and more. I suggest you read it before tearing in if you are inexperienced with diesel fuel systems. Power Service and other good fuel additives can be had at any diesel shop but probably cheaper at Wal Mart, NAPA or Advance/O'reily's Autozone etc. Timing is really tricky until you have some experience and/or the right tools so keep trying and don't give up. Be cautious and deliberate. Ask here or someone else competent if you get in a bind before you do something you're not sure of, been there done that,
JD

suv7734

Reaction score
Further to what DJD posted be aware that a small amount of pump movement will change the timing significantly. Basically for every dimes width of movement you will advance/retard the timing ~2* and that is significant on a diesel. All that said the only way to reliably set the timing is with proper tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance