7.3 into an 86 ford

cornbower

Reaction score
we have a wrecked (bent frame) 1989 F-250 with a 7.3 idi and 3 speed auto tranny. truck has about 110,000 on it. I have and 1986 project truck that currentyl has an inline 6 in it. would it be worth it to swap the engine tranny and entire wiring harness over to the 86 or is it more trouble than its worth? thanks for the input

cornbower

Reaction score
the 86 was originally a 150 but i swapped in 350 axles and springs. currently the truck is a manual with a t-19, ideally i'd rather run that behind the 7.3 but finding a bell housing may be difficult.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Sounds like you are good to go as far as suspension mods are concerned. You might want to do a little reading on some old posts. One of the members here (Agnem) has done a few IDI swaps into 1/2 tons so look at his posts, pics , or look him up and PM him. Don't know anything about PA geography, but y'all might not be too far from each other, because he's in PA too.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Well...you'll need a bellhousing and clutch for the T-19, I suspect any IDI/T-19 truck would work as a bell donor. I THINK the T-19 was used in some Stepvans and I think the 7.3 has one of the SAE bell patterns...if so, any bell with the right bolt pattern should work. You may want to think about digging up a ZF 5-speed, especially if you have 4.10 gears...overdrive is a very nice thing to have!

The accessories from the 89 SHOULD work. One wild card, though: the front clip and interior changed for 1987. I have no idea what changes (if any) were made to the wiring harness between 1986 and 1989. Hopefully, someone here has a 1986 & 1989 service manual and can tell us. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online