7.3 idit ticking

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so this is for the truck in my signature. I was at work last night and went to start my truck up to go home. It started just fine but after about 3 seconds it stumbled and then acted like it missed. And now I have this horrible ticking noise.

I only have about 2200 on this rebiluilt motor. I went in and made sure everything was new. Had the heads rebuilt and just suddenly this noise shows up.

I did kill each injector but the ticking stayed. I will pull the passenger valve cover in the morning since that's where I hear the ticking from. I was just wondering of any of y'all on here had any other opinions.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you did the sensible thing, and that was to rule out a stuck injector. If a pintle sticks open, then you will hear a noise like that, and also hot exhaust gases will heat up the injector line. Valve train issues are serious business. It's almost guaranteed that if you ignore one of those, you will be in need of a new engine soon. It sounds like a lifter or valve stuck. You'd be right to pull the valve cover and check compression and valve operation. A mechanics stethescope should help you determine which side has the noise. Pulling the intake hat or air clearner, and dropping the Y or Up pipe from the effected side should allow you to listen for any wolfing sounds as well.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
You can also try the 'poor man's leak down test.' Which is pull the glowplug, then when the cylinder is on compression stroke. Use a rubber tipped air gun to blow compressed air down the cylinder. You can then hear the air either out the intake or exhost. If you have a stuck valve, or one that's not seating correctly, that will tell you which one.

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have it narrowed down to a lifter. I unfortunately don't have a mechanics stethoscope. But I checked and all the valves are working good no whoofing through intake or exhaust.
But I'm not getting any oil through a pushrod. I took it out and cleaned it out to make sure it wasn't clogged up. Didn't help. so I guess I'm at pulling it down to change a lifter. Any other thoughts or ideas? I have my compression tester loaned to a friend and wont be getting it back until this weekend. So I have to wait on it. But this is my daily driver and I need it for work.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Try a healthy dose of Zmax. I had a ticking in my engine when I first got it. I ran Zmax through it for 2 oil changes and it went away and hasn't returned.

I am not saying a snake oil is the answer to everything, and maybe it had nothing to do with my Zmax treatment, but for $20 what's the big deal?

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some marvel mystery oil and dumped a quart into it before I read about the zmax. But I'm hoping that will help. Its better than tearing into the motor first. Hope it will.help but if not I'm going to.have a long weekend

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled all the injectors out and pop tested them. Turns out I had one stuck open. So killing it didn't make a difference. Will a bad injector cause it to tick like that? I'm getting ready to really install them and see of it helps.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have it narrowed down to a lifter. I unfortunately don't have a mechanics stethoscope. But I checked and all the valves are working good no whoofing through intake or exhaust.
But I'm not getting any oil through a pushrod. I took it out and cleaned it out to make sure it wasn't clogged up. Didn't help. so I guess I'm at pulling it down to change a lifter. Any other thoughts or ideas? I have my compression tester loaned to a friend and wont be getting it back until this weekend. So I have to wait on it. But this is my daily driver and I need it for work.

i think by mechanics stethoscope he meant a plastic or Styrofoam cup and a broom stick. put the open end of the cup over your listenin' ear. touch one end of the broomstick (or a toilet plunger stick would work better in this case) to the cup and the other to where you want to listen.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled all the injectors out and pop tested them. Turns out I had one stuck open. So killing it didn't make a difference. Will a bad injector cause it to tick like that? I'm getting ready to really install them and see of it helps.

didn't even see this post....hope you got it fixed. Stuck open can fuel dilute your oil. might want to rule that out as well, you know...while you're in there.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I don't know about "tick like that" but often times a bad injector does tick.

However, you have identified ANOTHER problem. You are not getting oil up a pushrod, so the lifter is having issues too, and that will definitely cause a tick.

if you do not like the cup and stick trick (which does work btw) You can get a mechanics stethoscope at harbor freight for like $10

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it all fixed. It was the injector thank God. And as for the lifter I just loosened the rocker and let them pump up and that did it for them. I do thank everyone on here for their valuable expertise. She's running great again. Just gotta put that damned valve cover back on. Got to dark to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight