7.3 IDI starts cold but not warm

jonmatthews96

1990 Ford 7.3 IDI
Reaction score
Within the past week my truck is starting up fine if it sits for more than 1 hour. If it is off for 15 minutes and go to start it, it will not start nor will my WTS light come on. WTS light comes on when cold but not when warm, which it should constantly come on for proper starting procedure. I replaced the Glow Plugs (Motorcraft) Monday, thinking that would solve it (I did have 3 bad ones)... nope no help. I am seriously stumped.:confused:

located in Berks County Pa

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before going out and buying a new injector pump, wait for some more responses here. There are somethings you can troubleshoot.

I'm on mobile, so I can't type out these procedures now, but I will outline them. First, you should test your glow plug controller. This requires a multimeter or test light.

Second, to check for heat soak issues on your IP, you cool it off and try to start again with a hot engine and cold IP.

Lastly, if you do need a new injector pump, make sure to read the hall of shame about bad pump builders. Or just go to Conestoga diesel and buy from there.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
The glow plug system is not relevant when starting a warmed up engine, not your problem.

Next time it does it pour some cool water on your IP. If it then starts up then your IP is tired and on its way out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster