7.3 idi non turbo thermostat switch problem

Disoriented4x4

Reaction score
7.3 idi cold start problem, temperature switch

I got a '92 non turbo 7.3 idi, its not wanting to start in the cold at all unless plugged in, and after replacing the entire glow plug system i was told that the thermostat switch for the cold idle/timing advance selinoid needs to be replaced. Is there anyway to bypass that?

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can put it on a toggle.

Shouldn't affect starting unless you're timing is retarded.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought this switch since I thought mine had failed. It is about $60 directly from Ford, I can try and find the part number if you want. The switch is located in the passenger side head behind the water neck, I am told it can be accessed with out removing anythings. If you look in the tech articles you can find a write-up on how to do a manual high idle with a diode, nothing for the advance though.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To check out the Hi idle and Cold advance, just turn the key on, on a cold engine. The Hi idle solenoid should extend, needs help to extend all the way by pressing the go peddle or manually advancing the throttle on the IP, also remove the wire on the solenoid on the IP, most rearward , see if it clicks. If the Hi idle don't advance the throttle arm, it can be adjust out, takes a 1/4" wrench to screw out. Screw it out so you have about 950 -1000 RPM with engine running. If it's working, it will turn off when the pass head reaches 112*F, engine will slow down to 650 RPM idle, may have to adjust idle screw to get that.

Attachments

• 7.3 IDI sensor layout (1).gif
    7.3 IDI sensor layout (1).gif
    248.4 KB · Views: 32