7.3 IDI injection pump question

fairlane_68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting two questions in separate threads.

I've been reading the article on IDI Fuel Injection Servicing, and I didn't see anywhere in it if you can remove the injector pump and reinstall it without losing the timing. Can it be removed and reinstalled? Or would I have to re-time it once it comes off?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting two questions in separate threads.

I've been reading the article on IDI Fuel Injection Servicing, and I didn't see anywhere in it if you can remove the injector pump and reinstall it without losing the timing. Can it be removed and reinstalled? Or would I have to re-time it once it comes off?
If you are using the same pump, mark the housings and realign when putting it back together. Just like marking a distributor before pulling.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I never timed My own truck (I will as soon as I learn how to use My new MT480 :D ) but if You remove the IP You will unbolt it from the IP gear and when You time it You must align it to the IP gear in order to time it, so I think chances are You'll have to time the beast when You put it back.

on edit:

Calvin You beat Me to it, and You are right You can mark it and put it back in the same spot. For some reason (I don't trust Me to nail it right in the mark) I rather time it.

fairlane_68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn it's be too long since I've worked on Fords...I think I'll play it safe and just remove the lines to service my injectors. Thanks for the links and help guys.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Why would you remove the lines just to service the injectors? There's no need for that. Take off the brackets that hold the lines together. You can loosen some of the lines at the pump and swivel them out of your way.

fairlane_68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you remove the lines just to service the injectors? There's no need for that. Take off the brackets that hold the lines together. You can loosen some of the lines at the pump and swivel them out of your way.

Because until today and until this job was done, the condition of those lines was unknown. I didn't know if they were brittle, siezed to the IP or the injectors, or stripped. I did find one of the lines had been twisted from before, where someone had tried to remove the line from the injector without loosening the extension first.

But the job's done, no more fuel leaks, and the truck starts and runs better. I will have to go back and replace the injectors, I have two that may be leaking. But that will come with a new/reman IP and all 8 injectors. My next project is to install a Holley Red fuel pump for starting aid, next weekend.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those lines are remarkably robust. I once twisted one 180 degrees right at the injector, and twisted it 180 back to where it was. I thought for sure it would give out, but 5 years later, it's still working great. LOL Sorry for not thinking that somebody might use that article JUST for servicing the injectors. I should have covered that topic better. To preserve the timing when removing the pump, I usually use a small center-punch, to put a mark on the pump and housing. Just put the tip of the center punch on the pump-housing seem, and make a mark. You will end up with a half moon on each part, which I find much easier to re-align than just a scribed line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online