7.3 head studs

pro93stang

Reaction score
Anyone know of a cheap place to get studs for these motors? I have it pulled out, I have a banks turbo to put on it, suppose to be 10 to 12 pounds of boost, figured I would need studs.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No one officially makes a head stud kit. Icanfixall or Typ4 should post up what they did, they are using 7" long 1/2" arp studs with bolts, not a kit but it works good ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
ARP makes a 7 inch long stud that works for our motors. The part number is AR7.00-1LB. The 12 point nuts are ARN12-1 and the washers are ARW78N. Don't let the person on the ARP end of the phone line tell you they don't have these. Like posted abouve. We are proof they are in our trucks. They are either 200 or 220,000 psi strength. A stock new head bolt is 153,000 psi. I had them tested and thats why I run studs. Now for some really interesting information. The stock head bolts lasted me either 275 or 375,000 miles. I did loose a cylinder to cavation but the other head never came off for head gasket replacement. I ran it long and hard towing heavy doing 12 lbs of boost. Those bolts are strong but... I wanted just that little bit more... Originally I was running a set of DPS studs. They were great and the psi was 270,000 lbs...:eek: I lost a freeze plug and burned down that rebuild with 5200 miles on the motor. I reused the same DPS studs but... Two of them broke on the same head. I found one in the driveway and another on a motor mount. Coolant leak so I replaced them. I showed them to the engineers at ARP. They had no idea why they broke. Others have had the same problem with them from DPS. I feel if my motor had never overheated I would still be running them. I had healped Ken at DPS design them. So in closeing this out you can run with the stock head bolts... But for the money and safety I will run the studs from ARP.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 6 point nuts are a LOT cheaper and will work fine, unless money is no object.:rotflmao:rotflmao 12 points are pretty though

Attachments

• rail mods 068.jpg
    rail mods 068.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 36
  • rail mods 073.jpg
    rail mods 073.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: