6.9 wont crank

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of recently I was having some issues with my pass side ground cable and it was in very poor shape. Yesterday went to start my truck and it wouldn't turn over. My gp light came on, radio, and lights were working. But when I turned the key nothing happened. I replaced the ground cable because it needed it anyway but the truck still won't crank. Do you guys think the relay on the fender could be it? How can I make sure. The relay on the fender looks a bit different than the one on my '94 that I would try an jump with a wrench.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the relay, the ignition switch, any number of things. First - automatic or manual transmission?

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto. I made sure it was really in park, then even pulled it down to neutral with no luck.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your starter relay have three terminals, or four? If it's four terminals, are there wires connected to both small terminals?

You could try putting a jumper wire between the two large terminals on the relay. Just make SURE it's in PARK, since you're bypassing the safety switch when you do that.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok im working on this as we speak. I have the 4 terminal. Only one wire going to small term. I jumped the big terminals and it turned over.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, now try a small jumper wire from the battery to the small terminal that has the wire connected to it (disconnect that wire). If it cranks, then the relay is good, and the problem is "upstream" - ignition switch, neutral safety, wiring. If it doesn't crank, then the relay is the prime suspect.

Another test, if you have a voltmeter and an assistant - again disconnect that small wire, and measure voltage to that wire (black meter probe to battery negative) while an assistant turns the key to START. Should have 12V (-ish). If so, then switch, neutral safety, wiring, etc. are GOOD. If no voltage, then it's time to work your way "upstream" and test the NSS and ignition switch.

This is a C6 tranny, right?

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea c6. I just did the jumper wire from battery to the small terminal. Wouldnt crank. Im gonna get a noid and c what happens

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the relay went south. Newer style relay like on your '94, with three terminals, should work.

Duh, what am I thinking? If it's convenient, just try the relay from your '94. You DO have to mount it to the fender to get it to work, since that's how the coil circuit grounds.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Not only is my truck running but ive learned how to test the relay. Thanks again!

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having same problem 1985 T19 epump No horn lights Nothing. How can i start it or fix it I need to get it off my Job property ASAP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online