6.9 water separator

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes you can but its never going to do much if anything for you. Now they do work very well for the psd engines. I think I would spend my funds on a Moose pump and injecters. That will get you much more bang for your buck.. Its been proven many times on this forum.

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4 well yes I'm buying a full moose pump this week.. But I'm wanting to bypass the stock water Separator I hear it makes a lot of problems for a lot of people on here so with that said what can I do to replace the water separator?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the water separator off and call it good. My rig has been running without a water separator for years now and no problems so far.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had the issue of there being water in my fuel and the PO said he bypassed the water separator because it was causing all sorts of problems. He did that back in 2000 and so far no problems. Idk maybe I have been lucky :dunno. I'm not sure how many other members are running without a WS but I am lol.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I put a Wix filter head that take a 6.2 water separator in the stock location

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bypassed the water seperator in my truck around 1990 or so and installed a racor filter with the plasic bowl underneath. I have had very litle water go through my engine fuel system - ostly dark sludge in small a mounts is all.
You will find that the water seperator causes a lot of problems and you are better off without it.
HTH
mariner

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Here's the Racor fuel filter / water separator I'm Running from Conestoga.;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
California doesn't have water or condensation problems like some other parts of the country. Partly a result of stringent fuel storage regulations, partly a result of dry climate. I have never drained my water separator, and forget it is there until one of these threads starts up.

They are famous for being the culprit for air intrusion in the 6.9 trucks.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
the major problem with the stock water seporator on the firewall is that they leak air into the system where the pull pin comes out the bottom. a cheap fix keeping the truck stock is to add some fuel line and a 1/4 turn valve. that way closing the 1/4 turn would prevent the pull valve from needing to do anything, including leak.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I have had my stock water separator bypassed for a couple of years now with no issues but I do want to put a racor filter with a clear bowl in place of the stock fuel filter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online