6.9 turbo

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a old 1987 with a 6.9 and i can pick up an ats 088 turbo kit tomorrow but im worried about it ending my motor faster. as long as im not going over 10psi should i be worried? i have no idea how many miles are on the truck and it has seen better days but my main concern is lifting a head. thoughts please

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will only make 8 or so, you will be fine.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did get the truck for $1000 and for al the use i have gotten out of it i wouldnt be mad if it went out but i dont want it to blow a gasket soon

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Install the turbo and enjoy it. Or send it to typ4 and have him at least check it for condition before you install it. No sense installing a part that needs rebuilding.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be ok with your engine. If your running stock headbolts, I would look into ARP studs in the future. These 6.9's are bulletproof but the weak point is definitely the small headbolts. My head gaskets seeped coolant and oil for a long time before I pulled engine. Didn't trust them with the turbo I installed at the time so I put in the studs.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i have looked into arps but i do not have the time to install them. would the easiest option be to lift the cab up about 4 inches and leave the motor in the truck? i dont have a strong enough cherry picker for a diesel motor

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am also going to see it run before i pull it off the other truck. anything to look for before i buy the turbo?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You can install studs with the heads in place (might be tight near the firewall), just replace one at a time. Torquing only needs to be done twice, once on the initial install, once after all are in.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
what? seriously. wouldn't this just destroy the old headgasket?:confused:

Not as long as you do not move or lift the head. Replacing the bolts one at a time has been done successfully by someone on the forum a couple years ago. No adverse reports yet. One-at-a-time means you never have more than one head bolt and cannot lift the head (because there are still 16 holding it down), gasket goes nowhere. Take one out, install stud, torque once, repeat. After all are installed, torque all again. Easy-cheesy. Not the ideal situation, but he seems not to want (or be able) to lift the engine.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds a little strange to me, but I've only been smelling like oil a few years. :rolleyes: hey I've been working on Hino trucks for over 10 yrs and saw my first broken headbolt 1st week of august. spoke with the service manager who's been there over 25yrs and it was only the 2nd one he has seen. **** happensLOL

head studs are a great idea! new head gaskets are a good idea too;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online