6.9 started stalling out yesterday

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday morning the truck started stalling out when I let off throttle quick. It does it at idle and road speed. If I let off easy it does ok. I changed fuel filter today and it made no difference. Any suggestions? All part of getting an old truck.LOL!! I'll get it right in time. I still like the old girl. I'll get pics posted asap

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like classic injection pump failure. Its starting to go now, something gets gummed up in there and it can't return to idle without you babying the throttle. I'd run a heavy dose of some ATF or your favorite injector cleaner through it to try to free it up, while its still driveable, and it might clear up while you drive and last a few more miles. Its probably time to start saving for an IP as well.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it was full. Very little water/dirt in it. PO said it did it to him,changed filter and fixed it. IP doesn't look old but that doesn't mean anything. Gonna dump some atf or Seafoam in it & see what it does.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes people fill their fuel filter full of their favorite additive or ATF, motor oil or whatever they have around if they don't have any diesel. Maybe thats what he did and why it fixed it for a while. I hope it works for ya...

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. There's a metering valve in the IP that can stick causing these conditions; it's usually the result of the truck left sitting for a long time. I raised my idle up to about 800rpm (was at about 600), put a double dose of Diesel Kleen in the tank, and ran the **** out of it. She's been running great ever since. I think I got lucky though.............

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. There's a metering valve in the IP that can stick causing these conditions; it's usually the result of the truck left sitting for a long time. I raised my idle up to about 800rpm (was at about 600), put a double dose of Diesel Kleen in the tank, and ran the **** out of it. She's been running great ever since. I think I got lucky though.............

DING.......DING...........DING!!! We have a winner! That's correct. The metering valve is sticking. The truck will die or almost die when letting off the throttle driving or not. If it doesn't improve with extra fuel lube, it may be time to start looking for an IP.

Heath

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 7.3 wouldn't start sometimes. I would pull the top off of the IP and clean around that ball,then a shot of WD40 and it was good for awhile. Seems like it was after it would sit alot. I'll try that too. Hope it's not the pump. I found the radiator leaking this morning.