6.9 smoke miss cant find out why

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
so here is a lil info 1985 f250 <from alaska> 6.9 4 speed 58xxx miles so my lil brother used my truck and one of his friends convinced him to put 10 gallons of used oil in my fuel tanks. now my truck smokes white and miss bad i have drained tank and re fueled. i found on injector bad so i replaced it with a good used bb code i had helps lil not much. so next fuel filter and my replace my mr gasket crap pump help lil more but i still have smoke and a slight miss what should my next step be? my injectors in my truck are bb codes all seemed fine till this and the pump has not ever been touched

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I'd take the truck in your garage and drop both tanks and clean and if possible put some sort of cleaner in them that will get all the oil residue out, then do your fuel lines the same, then your IP and filter. There is oil residue you cant see. And I have some friendly advice, dont let your brothers friend ride in your truck EVER AGAIN let him ruin some one elses truck, not your pride and joy. :) Rig you up a 5 gal can of Diesel/gasoline mix 90/10 the more premium the better hook it in your fuel line at the selector valve, hopefully you can save it. What that'll do it'll clean everything out, whem its starting great and running strong, ftake your rigged set up off, and hook your lines back up to your clean tanks and fill with a little gasonline a gallon and rest of it diesel, run that about 500 miles seitch fuel filter out and you should be good to go, that is if the diesel gods are looking out for ya. :D :hail

It's worked wonders for me. If I'm wrong let me know :)

Last edited:

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
i will try it out soon as it stops snowing. is there a filter or any check valves after the fuel filter i think iam going to change it again i used one bottle of polor power says cleans and get ride of water so 1 bottle to 250 gallons dont think will hurt on 15 lol. but i gave him a chewing he will never forget. this is my dd so i got to fix it fast. i fogot to add the smoke is white not black and its slowly going away but the miss is killing me fuel milage is down to 10 from 18 so hurting the wallet any more info let me know thanks

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
the miss could be in the IP or injectors half stopped up. I'd add what it says on the bottle or you'll over douse it and kill it. Let me know how it works out. :) And as for my truck I got a vinyl floor mat and getting it reapolstered and repainted top to bottom. If something is wrong on the barrowers watch they fix it, ya know bring it back as good or better than you loaned it out. That's my policy. :)

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
The only way I can tell ya friend, they say transmission fluid is good but I go with 90/10 mix diesel and gas. Run on that a while in a 5 Gal can take your tanks out and clean them, I bet it's still got residue from the oil in your tanks and sucking it through your system and in your IP, What I said earlier will clean your whole system out.

Last edited:

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't guys burn WMO in these truck all the time? Why is it a problem for this guy?

Tim.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
his truck wasnt setup for it the filtering and heating process is different, it has to be just like Diesel consistancy. its too thick and got trash in it.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
me personally i wouldnt run any gas in the engine. Yes some people have done it and thats great, but to me its not worth damageing the engine. I would instead use power service and clean the tanks.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
me personally i wouldnt run any gas in the engine. Yes some people have done it and thats great, but to me its not worth damageing the engine. I would instead use power service and clean the tanks.
Hows that gonna clean the whole system out? It's upto him I was just tellin him what worked for me on my older tractors.

Last edited:

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What this guy said, gas is bad. It'll help clean it sure, but it also cut's the lube right out of the fuel. Not good for pump's.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I was just talkin temporary but guess my idea isnt proper huh? I ment the little cans you use for a weed eater, like the 1 gal. That is the gas part of the mix and a 5 gal can that's the diesel part.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
sorry i wasnt very clear.

I would drop the tanks and clean them. then I would fill up with fresh diesel and run a heavy dose of power service or howes etc in the fuel. I would at the same time change the fuel filter, filling it up with a 50/50 mix of ATF and power service.

as posted gas can wear out a pump very quickly because it is so dry. not to mention headgaskets, precups, pistons etc.

Be warned that WMO contains metal particles that can scar the IP and injectors.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
sorry i wasnt very clear.

I would drop the tanks and clean them. then I would fill up with fresh diesel and run a heavy dose of power service or howes etc in the fuel. I would at the same time change the fuel filter, filling it up with a 50/50 mix of ATF and power service.

as posted gas can wear out a pump very quickly because it is so dry. not to mention headgaskets, precups, pistons etc.

Be warned that WMO contains metal particles that can scar the IP and injectors.
Power service?? Is that Diesel kleen? Is that good for spring and summer, what I seen it was mostly used for winter driving??:dunno

Last edited: