6.9 Sidewinder testing

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
the turbo sizes had nothing to do with me selecting anythign specific, it was what i had available from previous builds.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the turbo sizes had nothing to do with me selecting anythign specific, it was what i had available from previous builds.

That's fine. But, I'd like to see an HX35 that was modded with a 62mm compressor wheel, and also a stock 35 with a 60mm wheel. The last hybrid 35 I built, I pulled a 54mm wheel off, and installed a 60. Wish I could've just found a stock with the 60:Whatever:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the oil feed line to the turbo... Are you getting oil from the clean side of the filter or the dirty side of the oil filter??? I have a few oil cooler headers here so I will try to answer my own questions for you... Hopefully this is gong to be an ok position to take clean oil from. Also when I remove or replace my Banks turbo off the motor I take the down pipe off first and its the last part being installed. That way I can reach the mount nuts. PS... The lower right nut is on an angle so install it first so it will fit. Otherwise its almost impossible to start. The oil return line is bad too. I usually do that when my eyes are closed. I imagine it going together and it usually does. Once you use the down pipe clamp to the exhaust its there forever. I made up a special slip clamp and now all I do is loosen it and the down pipe slides up and out... :D Now more trouble getting it to let go of the exhaust pipe...;Sweet

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
On the subject of turbos, here in Vegas there is an old retired guy from Garrett, he will build a complete turbo with warranty for $499. On the more exotic spools the price will go up slighty but as an example a T04 with 62/16 will run you $499. If you need something with milled inducer bore and custom flange work then the price starts heading north. If anyone is interested let me know.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Yeah all and all the kit is a pain in the butt. The up and down pipe....... my engine and tranny are sitting as far back as they can i have almost 3 inches of space between the front of the fan and the radiator. All the hacking i did to get some space helped but, its still gonna be a crap shoot to see if i can get the downpipe to actually clamp to the turbo. The oil feed line was a pain, the block that mounts to the turbo, where the oil feed and oilpressure sending unit are, is completely different from the drawing and do not provide you with enough oil line to make the connection so I had to go to the oil cooler. The draing line for the turbo is probably the crappiest design they could have used. I have pushed the valley pan grommet into the valley pan 3 times now, what a pain. Its hoit here today, I am waiting for the sun to get past being straight up in the sky and then I will get back out there and finish up today.

The basic design for the kit is simple and would be an extremely easy installation if not for it's short comings. I can't really rate this on an "ease of installation" scale, i can however rate it on the "pain in the butt"scale. Thus far I would give the Banks kit a solid 7 on the butt pain scale.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah all and all the kit is a pain in the butt. The up and down pipe....... my engine and tranny are sitting as far back as they can i have almost 3 inches of space between the front of the fan and the radiator. All the hacking i did to get some space helped but, its still gonna be a crap shoot to see if i can get the downpipe to actually clamp to the turbo. The oil feed line was a pain, the block that mounts to the turbo, where the oil feed and oilpressure sending unit are, is completely different from the drawing and do not provide you with enough oil line to make the connection so I had to go to the oil cooler. The draing line for the turbo is probably the crappiest design they could have used. I have pushed the valley pan grommet into the valley pan 3 times now, what a pain. Its hoit here today, I am waiting for the sun to get past being straight up in the sky and then I will get back out there and finish up today.

The basic design for the kit is simple and would be an extremely easy installation if not for it's short comings. I can't really rate this on an "ease of installation" scale, i can however rate it on the "pain in the butt"scale. Thus far I would give the Banks kit a solid 7 on the butt pain scale.
after doing a 6.0 swapout years ago, I applied my brutal lesson to my IDI.
Lift the cab and life gets alot easier;Sweet
you don't have to go far. slip in a 4x4 block between the body mount and the body will give you all the room in the world.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the subject of turbos, here in Vegas there is an old retired guy from Garrett, he will build a complete turbo with warranty for $499. On the more exotic spools the price will go up slighty but as an example a T04 with 62/16 will run you $499. If you need something with milled inducer bore and custom flange work then the price starts heading north. If anyone is interested let me know.

PM me the contact info plz.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
ok, she is intalled. first impressions....... its a nice jump in hp. I am gonna go ahead and max out the fuel screw and see what she will do tomorrow, i will try and get some video, i will run with the wastegate and without. as for now, it's beer 30

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
ok, she is intalled. first impressions....... its a nice jump in hp. I am gonna go ahead and max out the fuel screw and see what she will do tomorrow, i will try and get some video, i will run with the wastegate and without. as for now, it's beer 30

mark your timing now were it is that way you can always go back to, and go to playing around with your timing;Sweet

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
made a couple of shake down runs with the fuel turned up, it definitely feels like a solid power gain, not a barn burner for sure and the wastegate is opening up really early under WOT, I am gonna go pick up a valve to bypass the wastegate and see the difference in that.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of my boards its like this :pocorn other ones its like this... :popcorn: on I think it is simply :pocor