6.9 not running right

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah reviews aren't favorable on the mr gasket, any info on the best place to order a carrier?

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
If you have a Napa auto place near Ya, you can get a Carter p4070 for about 50 or so dollars, plenty of flow and just the right amount of pressure. I've had mine just about a year and it's still pumpin fine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would start with an electric pump conversion, just because if you are having a lift pump problem, this will hopefully solve it. If your not having a lift pump problem, then you have the benefit of the upgrade which means your time and money weren't wasted. If your IP has worn significantly, you may have high return flow. This would mean the pump is passing more fuel through it than normal. This is typical on pumps with significantly worn advance mechanisms.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the good info, I'm in it for the long haul with this truck so all your advice is not a waste of keystrokes! Upon further reading I came across the check valve in the filter head discussions so i decided to check the fuel pressure at the return line on the output fitting and there's a vacuum there as well. My understanding was that was for air to be expelled to the return line system so as not to enter the IP and was one way only, maybe this is part of my problem, air is getting to the IP from the return lines?? Just a thought.

On a different note, has anyone run an electric lift pump POST mechanical pump in series? I know from reading here if you run one PRE it will blow out the diaphragm of the mechanical lift pump, I read someone was running an in tank lift pump with the carter electric downstream with excellent results.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the good info, I'm in it for the long haul with this truck so all your advice is not a waste of keystrokes! Upon further reading I came across the check valve in the filter head discussions so i decided to check the fuel pressure at the return line on the output fitting and there's a vacuum there as well. My understanding was that was for air to be expelled to the return line system so as not to enter the IP and was one way only, maybe this is part of my problem, air is getting to the IP from the return lines?? Just a thought.

On a different note, has anyone run an electric lift pump POST mechanical pump in series? I know from reading here if you run one PRE it will blow out the diaphragm of the mechanical lift pump, I read someone was running an in tank lift pump with the carter electric downstream with excellent results.

Any thoughts? I've got time to mess with my truck today, after the aspirin kicks in of course!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online