6.9 manual trans to auto trans - crankshaft balancer trouble?

FlySAR

Reaction score
Hi again,

I'm the guy swapping a 6.9 4spd from F250 to a 6.9 Auto F350.

I can't get the harmonic Balancer off the crankshaft for the swap & so I measured them both & they seem identical; I just wondering are they the same?

Del

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, they are the same but... They are balanced at the assembly plant for "that motor" and should not be used on another motor. They will transfer over and fit but that doesn't make it right. Why are you having problems getting it off?

FlySAR

Reaction score
I happened to find a Harmonic Balancer shop on line & the part number was the same for all years of 6.9 so I dropped the motor in.

I didn't have all the right tools but was willing to go buy them if it I needed to.

Thanksfor the replies!!

Del

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
After reading your post again I don't see why you wanted to change the balancers from one 6.9 to another 6.9 just because of the auto or standard trans differances. Just keep the balancers on the motor they came with and "things" will be fine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Zigg did find different part numbers for the manual and auto balancers. but my contention has always been there was no way how IH engine plant knew what the motors was being dropped into outside of the oil pan configuration. These motors found thier way into many S-series chassis with a dizzying array of transmission choices. imho....there's no way IH was going to stock different balancers for all those choices Ford or S-series.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have all the right tools but was willing to go buy them if it I needed to.

Here's some FWI for those of you that don't know about FREE tool rentals........especially for those on a budget or if you simply don't want to spend the cash on a tool you might only use once in your lifetime.....

You don't have to buy most automotive specialty tools. You can rent them for FREE at Autozone and Advance auto parts and prolly a few others. All you need to do is leave a deposit on the tool and when you bring it back you get a 100% refund.