6.9 IH NA Oil Pan Replacement? whats involved?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The JB weld is an excellent idea ( if it works). Make sure everything is clean.

To respond to your original question, yes it CAN be done, and the steps you listed were right. ( put 2X4 spacers on the Motor Mounts after you jack up the engine--safety!! I did it ONCE and vowed never to repeat it. 3 thing left off your list--a fabricated wrench to reach the oil pump bolts, and an extra joint in your forearm that lets the arm pivot sideways, and a hard hat ( I hit my head so many times on that cross member, I may have lost 40 points off my IQ).
The book tells you to unbolt the oil pump and drop it into the pan.
It also says " reassembly is the reverse of disassembly" Think about how you are going to get the pump up out of that deep oil pan.

rollincoal92

Reaction score
I can't Wait to here the old girl purr. I'll let you guys know how it turns out, and todays project is straight pipin' her and straighenin out the front clip

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The dent concerns me, it's big and I worry about the pick up tube for the oil pump....If you can get it clean fiberglass would work....Never rust again.

rollincoal92

Reaction score
i checked the clearance on the oil pump and its good, so im just gonna jb weld it flush with the pan, then use a special asphalt paint over the bottom and sides of the pan so it will never rust

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
It's really not that hard to pull an IDI. Very limited wiring, about ten bolts, fuel line, and it's ready to come out

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really not that hard to pull an IDI. Very limited wiring, about ten bolts, fuel line, and it's ready to come out

Ya the hard part is arranging for the Blue Ferries with wings to come and lift the engine out when you don't have a engine hoist strong enough:rotflmao

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to clean and treat my pan after reading all this. I looked at it yesterday and its pretty clean and rust free, But I dont want to pull the motor for this alone if I can do soem preventative maintenance.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty much which is why i am taking the redneck:thumbsup: route till i get and engine hoist built

gee yer only a few hours drive away from me...LOL kewl. Ya redneck 101 watch this! Kaboom....all jokes aside that second method done right is ok...I would likely use vacuum and JB weld to patch small holes first then layer on the gooey stuff!...PREP PREP PREP is the key!;Sweet

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I believe these oil pans rust from the inside out, just like out wheel wells and front fenders. My dads is rusting on his 95 F-150, no signs of rust just some really soft spots and a little paint flaking off.

85_IDI_4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once heard of a guy who tried to use JB weld to "fix" a cracked engine block. I have no idea if it worked. Let us know how your project turns out.

i swear i remeber reading "testimonial" on some jb weld product about how some little town used it to fix a cracked block on the towns dozer and saved a ton of money over a new block.
I love advertising like that lol PB blaster makes me laugh everytime i see there cans because of all the stuff they have printed on it (the cup test really does work)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I was working as a first responder, we were issued this stuff by the case. basically it's JB weld putty but you can use this stuff on leaking gas tanks.fuel tanks....etc. in short, it works. I have a blob sealing off the heater port on top of my filter base for the last five years and it's still holding.
if you have loose rust/scale on the metal surface, use a wire brush to knock off the loose stuff and pack this stuff on.;Sweet

Attachments

• SL374574.JPG
    SL374574.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online