6.9 head bolt washers

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a slight problem. After my 7.3 destroyed itself I am getting ready to put in a 6.9 I have. BUT I have a problem this motor has been setting awhile. 4+ years in fact. The washers under some of the head bolts are cracked. Is it safe to use the motor aor should I pull the heads and put in new gaskets and washers?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run it with the cracked washers and keep an eye on them. I had one crack on me during the final torque sequence. I had no choice but to replace it because it came out from under the bolt head. If you mess with them now, your looking at doing head gaskets.

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run it with the cracked washers and keep an eye on them. I had one crack on me during the final torque sequence. I had no choice but to replace it because it came out from under the bolt head. If you mess with them now, your looking at doing head gaskets.

It is not just one it is about 5 or 6 that ar cracked total. I ready have head gaskets in the kit I bought to do this.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well with that many broken already I would pull the heads and replace the bolts with ARP studs. This will be much better for you in the long run. Buy the stud kit from Summit because they sell it cheaper than ARP who makes them. Stating that you already have the gasket set to do the heads is already pointing you in the correct direction. Sure, you could install the motor and maybe run it for a long time... Or it could fail on you when you need it the most. It depends on you and how much you want to depend on something......

suv7734

Reaction score
Well with that many broken already I would pull the heads and replace the bolts with ARP studs. This will be much better for you in the long run. Buy the stud kit from Summit because they sell it cheaper than ARP who makes them. Stating that you already have the gasket set to do the heads is already pointing you in the correct direction. Sure, you could install the motor and maybe run it for a long time... Or it could fail on you when you need it the most. It depends on you and how much you want to depend on something......

+1

How many miles on the 6.9? If the engine is out and has been sitting for that long it would be better to be safe than sorry. It's much easier to do it now rather than when the engine is in the truck. That being said I would probably look at a few other things as well. Water pump, oil pan gasket, timing cover seal and possibly the rear main seal. If nothing else I would pull the glow plugs, lube up the cylinders and crank it over by hand a bit. This would also allow you to check the glow plugs before you put it in and find out you have a swollen one that doesn't work, break off a tip pulling it out and have to pull the heads.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
++2 on the above... Its way better pulling the plugs now instead of later... That could be costly and very time consuming.... Why do it twice when you can do it now once and be done with it....

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what all is in the kit you bought? 4 years is a long time for seals to sit (that have had heat cycles on them) if it was me i would put a full gasket set in it before i drop it in there.

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what all is in the kit you bought? 4 years is a long time for seals to sit (that have had heat cycles on them) if it was me i would put a full gasket set in it before i drop it in there.

Full set of gaskets and seals. I already have it tore down where I can just take the heads. The pan is off. I pulled one of the mains (rear) and it looks good. I have turned it over. I am using this as a teaching tool for my son. I have rebuilt diesels before in the past but never anything this small.

Thank you all for the advice. it is coming down to the short block. reoil every thing.

Thank you much. Will keep everyone up dated as we go.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Full set of gaskets and seals. I already have it tore down where I can just take the heads. The pan is off. I pulled one of the mains (rear) and it looks good. I have turned it over. I am using this as a teaching tool for my son. I have rebuilt diesels before in the past but never anything this small.

Thank you all for the advice. it is coming down to the short block. reoil every thing.

Thank you much. Will keep everyone up dated as we go.
And pictures too!!!:thumbsup::backoff

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to replace one at a time without disturbing the head?

I would advise against it. I chose to do that on my fresh build when the washer cracked on the last torque sequence. The noises the head made when I completely loosened and retorqued that single bolt kept me awake at night for many evenings. The posibility of cracking the head is very real.