6.9 diesel to 351m400 swap

charles h

Reaction score
is it possible to swap out a 6.9 diesel to a 351m/400 with out a lot of work other than transmission witch i can get with the motor

f250ap

Reaction score
I'm with big what's wrong with the 6.9? My dad has a 351m in a ranchero and is a good motor in the ranchero but I think you'd be disappointed with the 351m in a 3/4 ton truck

charles h

Reaction score
idk whats wrong with it . it went down hill a week after i bought it and been at mechanics for 3 monthes and it has compresion and fule but not working it last ran on 3 cylinders and thay r stumped other than replace the injectors and the fule inuector pum in it and that will be 1200 and i dont have that kind on money and the 351m has clevlin heads and was in a 1 ton that the bead wayed that mutch and it pulled 17 head of horses with ease

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well fuel mileage suffers with that 351 like 6 mpg if its 17 horses but anyway 3 cylinders did it ever use any oil? i mean you not giving us much to go ondo you know basic mechanics can you do some check list things to rule out like air in the lines and if your ip was going bad i would assume it would have had a heat soak problem? correct and if injextors just buy them on your own from mel they are not difficult to change just have to do return line orings etc but well worth it dont throw in the towel yet

charles h

Reaction score
what i was thanking is take it out and convert it to gas and latter fix the diesel and put it back in when it has had a complete over hall that way i know its 100% good

charles h

Reaction score
hard start bought glow plugs it smokes not oil not coolant it started surging and than died had fule but i want to clean it up and start fresh

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like air in the lines or fuel delivery. One nice thing about these motors is they are relatively cheap to repair.

But to answer your original question, swapping to a gasser from a diesel in this type of truck shouldn't be too bad. Mounting locations and crossmembers may need to be changed a little. Exhaust work will probably be involved. There are always lots of unforseen little things with conversions like this. Good luck!

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds like fuel issue or air check your dipstick for your oil is it rising? at all and smell of diesel if so ur mech pump is bad but if not run a separate hose to a 1 gallon can of diesel and go from them dont give up hope just yet ull be glad u fixed it and not swapped it

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have u changed your fuel filter ??? that could mess with something get you a new filter and fill it full of atf cleans up your injectors some and how did this happen dno detail if it all happend at once or slowly ended up like this

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bypass the fuel tanks and see if it will run off of a 5 gallon can. I'm betting that a line is allowing it to suck air somewhere. I would not want to swap to a 351, might as well go big with a 460 since the 351 and 460 will get the same mpg. Also don't forget that you will need weird hoses to connect a 351 to the diesel radiator, the diesel rad has much larger connections than the 351 does so you will need to neck the hoses up or have a radiator shop modify the diesel rad to fit the smaller hoses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online