6.9 dead cylinder

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
Well my 6.9 has a dead miss on number 6 I ran a compression check. It was at zero. So we're should I start I don't want to put a diffent motor I. It i almost thinking its a head problem thanks a lot nic any info

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats the easy side to remove the valve cover and look at the rocker action. Report back what you find. Might be a broken or bent pushrod or broken valve spring too. What sounds is the engine making.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I had a 2" crack in my cylinder wall and still managed 240lbs of compression. I second the valvetrain suspicion. Do you have a loud rapping sound, anywhere from a chuf, chuf, to a shot gun blast sound that repeats? That's a valvetrain indicator for sure.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
you can also do my low rent leakdown test. Get an airgun with a rubber nozzle tip. (harbor freight for like $5 if you dun have one already) then pull the glowplug and blow compressed air down the hole (seal the airgun against the hole) and that will tell you what is up.

Air out the tailpipe, or intake is bad valvetrain.

Air out the oilfill or bubbles in your radiator (remove the caps when you do this test) and you have block/piston issues.

It's even easyer than pulling the valve cover. Altho with 0 compression and no horrific noises? It's prolly a valve.

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
Wile the truck is idling it smokes white and shakes the truck is staright piped under the cab. as rpm increases it starts to pop out exhaust so Loud it scared me the first time it happend and at some rpm it seems like it fades in and out

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wile the truck is idling it smokes white and shakes the truck is staright piped under the cab. as rpm increases it starts to pop out exhaust so Loud it scared me the first time it happend and at some rpm it seems like it fades in and out

Well now its sounding more like a problem with the exhaust valve. Could be bad guide not allowing a valve to seat. Or a bent valve because it contacted the piston. Or a rocker , lifter or pushrod isue. Still time to remove the valve cover but the air gun idea is a good one too.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Zero compression, white smoke and rough running sounds like a blown head gasket to me. If the valves are out of whack, they get busted pretty quick.

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
ok well guys have not got to it yet be aleast a week or two so iam going to pull the heads no matter what for head gaskets bc when i got the truck behind the seat was a bottle of blue divel. but maybe it just gave up again/ so i read the write up on head gasket like a year ago dose any one have to link to it again the one mel wrote?? also is it possible to put 7.3 heads on a 6.9 is there a plus to this??