6.9/7.3 diesel engine overhaul kits available

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Has anybody seen this? so FORD sells these?
6.9/7.3 diesel engine overhaul kits available
i just came acrossed this and thought i would share it. if you like to stay with factory parts and have engine problems....there is now a full overhaul kit available from ford. here is the info

February 10, 2006

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers, Parts, Service Managers, and Technicians
Subject: Launch of Diesel Engine Overhaul Kits

ANNOUNCEMENT
Ford is pleased to announce the launch of Ford Diesel Engine Overhaul Kits for 1983-2003 6.9L and 7.3L engines. These new Ford Engine Overhaul Kits are competitively priced and they carry the standard Ford service part warranty (covered against defects for 12 months/12,000 miles).

GIVE CUSTOMERS A CHOICE
The use of salvage yard engines is becoming a lower cost repair alternative for some owners. However, nobody knows the condition of these engines and their warranty coverage, if any, generally provides the owner little peace of mind. Now, dealers and installers can offer Original Equipment (OE) engine overhaul kits as another engine repair option, along with Ford/Motorcraft's line of genuine remanufactured engines. Give the customer the repair option of the overhaul kit or assembly, explain the differences in cost and warranty coverage, and retain the sale.

Effective immediately, the following Ford Diesel Engine Overhaul Kits are available from your Ford Powertrain Distributors:

Model
Year
Kit Description
Ford Service #

7.3L DIT

1994-2003
Standard Piston & Rings
2C3Z-6R007-A

1994-2003
.010 Oversized Piston & Rings
2C3Z-6R007-B

1994-2003
.020 Oversized Piston & Rings
2C3Z-6R007-C

1994-2003
.030 Oversized Piston & Rings
2C3Z-6R007-D

7.3L IDI (Excluding turbo)

1988-94
Standard Piston & Rings
2C3Z-6R007-E

1988-94
2C3Z-6R007-F

6.9L IDI

1983-87
Standard Piston & Rings
2C3Z-6R007-G

1983-87
2C3Z-6R007-H

Each Diesel Engine Overhaul Kit Includes:

Pistons
Piston Rings
Main Bearing Set
Oil Cooler
Glow Plugs
Oil Filter
Gaskets and Seals
And Much More

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I'd like to find out a price on that kit and if the Ford Dealership just down the street can get me one. Justin found me a motor, but I'd still like to rebuild my current one (as a spare of to sell later if someone else ends up in my current situation.. lol). I'll see what I can find out about that kit.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'd like to find out a price on that kit and if the Ford Dealership just down the street can get me one. Justin found me a motor, but I'd still like to rebuild my current one (as a spare of to sell later if someone else ends up in my current situation.. lol). I'll see what I can find out about that kit.

Ford parts Direct has the standard kit for your engine for about $982, the .030 kit is the same price. List on the things is about $1277

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RLDSL-totally off topic question? How long have you been running the Duralift pump. How many miles/years have you had the pump? Do you use a regulator? Do you run WMO? There's a new post about that pump and then I saw in your sig you've got one so let us know you're thoughts on it. Its under the Carrier Pump Group Buy, or here or where ever.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RLDSL-totally off topic question? How long have you been running the Duralift pump. How many miles/years have you had the pump? Do you use a regulator? Do you run WMO? There's a new post about that pump and then I saw in your sig you've got one so let us know you're thoughts on it. Its under the Carrier Pump Group Buy, or here or where ever.

I've had the thing on there for I guess near 2 years now. It was shortly after I got the truck. I was the one who started all the hullaballoo on those things :D
I haven't put all that many miles on mine, but when I first hunted the thing down at the Carrier dealer, it took the parts guy quite some time to locate the thing in the parts room, turned out , they'd never had one go bad and had to replace one. I figure that's a pretty good sign for a constant duty commercial pump ;Sweet

No WMO yet, I do blend some veg in though.
No regulator on the thing I run it as is.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only bad thing about that is just standard parts. Not so bad I guess but if/when I rebuild mine I'd like to make it a little better than stock.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Only bad thing about that is just standard parts. Not so bad I guess but if/when I rebuild mine I'd like to make it a little better than stock.

When you consider the normal life expectancy of these things if you take good care of them, there's nothing wrong with the factory engine parts. If you had the engine to take care of properly from day 1, built up with factory parts, you would have an extremely long lasting engine ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, probably last me till it was a collector or banned from the road altogether. I just think lowered compression would be desirable and possibly head studs. I don't know when an overhaul will be needed or if I'll be able to afford it then but my plan was to pay to have a set of custom slugs maybe 17.5-18.5:1 and made to bolt up to the big turbo piston rods, upgraded bolts or studs, probably just stock rings, don't know. Its probably 1000-1200 for a set of custom slugs, 320-400 for a set of turbo rods, 100 for a set of rings plus a couple hundred in gaskets.