6.2 overhaul

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
Do any of you guys run the Banks sidewinder kit on your 6.2s?

I'm gearing up to completely overhaul the chevy, stem to stern.
What do y'all think of the sidewinder kit? worth it? :confused: I've had the truck since '95, and the turbo been on my mind since then! ;p ;p

What it has: stock '82 J-code 6.2, block and heads. 190K on it.

what I'm thinking: stock '82 block (rumored to be the strongest?),
later (567 casting maybe?) heads,
ARP head studs, and 6.5 turbo injectors (higher pop pressure, more efficient?)

I know these q's been asked many times before, just need some advice from the experts! :D
Thanks,
Mac

Now I get to drive the P'up! 40HP of raw thundering power. yeehaa. ;Sweet

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Alot of people report that the Banks turbo is fairly lagy and doesn't make alot of boost. There are a few that run the basic banks kit (manifolds, crosover, intake) but use other turbos. A popular one seems to be the TE06 from the Banks Ford diesel kit. It is a wastegated turbo that performs well apparently. I personally use a Holset Hy-35 from a Cummins.

The '82 block should be a good one. The heads however are more prone to cracking due to bigger valves. I you use 6.5 heads make sure and us the 6.2 head gaskets as there is an extra cooling port in the '82 block. Head studs are always good, I have never had back luck with the stock TTY bolts though. The 6.5 injectors will also serve you well due to the facts you mentioned.

Justin

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm cheating on mime. :D I'm taking the turbo and related goodies off a '93td and grafting them onto a 6.2 . I figure it'll give the Blazer a little oomph. :D

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
Towcat,
The 6.5TD in your service truck looks *nice*. It looks stock too! ;Sweet
Do you have a TH400 behind it?

I'm still torn between using 6.5TD bits or going with the banks kit. :confused:
It'd be cool to low-buck it by using junkyard parts but finding them may be a pain.

Most guys at work/motorpool recommend the later model heads- do they have the big valves like the older J-code ones?

Thanks again to everyone for the pointers! ;Sweet
Mac

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Macguyver82 said:
Towcat,

Most guys at work/motorpool recommend the later model heads- do they have the big valves like the older J-code ones?

Mac

All heads from '83 on use smaller valves. I don't really know if they solve anything with the cracking problem, I highly doubt that they do. If you keep it cool on the temp gauge it wont be a problem. I always kindof wanted to do a buildup using the '82 heads just for the increased flow the big valves.

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
I really like that rig ya got Dieseldummy, gives me idears! (don't tell my g/f)

well, I did some more research and may stick with the '82 heads is they check out OK. I imagine the course thread injectors could be calibrated w/ a higher pop pressure.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments, them idea's will get ya into trouble...

Whatever parts you decide on using, if you're looking for big power splayed main caps are a good idea. Kennedy sells them, I'd recommend them since I've personally seen 2 6.5's trow the crank out of the oil pan from broken mains...

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
On a sidenote, I've gone thru all the articles on this site- Ford & Dodge included. The projects you guys do rock, best compliments gents! ;Sweet
Warden's site is good too- I'll try to document the process as this goes along like he did. :D

Mac

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
(quote) Thanks for the compliments, them idea's will get ya into trouble...

Whatever parts you decide on using, if you're looking for big power splayed main caps are a good idea. Kennedy sells them, I'd recommend them since I've personally seen 2 6.5's trow the crank out of the oil pan from broken mains...
(/quote)

:eek: :eek:

The CDR works fine, no need to supplement it w/ uhh, "additional block vents" :D

How about those main girdles, from DSG I think?
they look like a good deal, as does the gear drive timing set

Mac

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dsldmmy-
what are your thought's on the updated hummer shortblocks? I know they are pricey, but the tradeoff of stronger mains without the additional work seems like a good idea for me.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I haven't had any experience with the new AMG blocks. They do boast quite a bit more material and higher nickle content. Cannadian Rigger over at the Place apparently had the crank break without damaging the block so that had to say something for the AMG casting.

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
I looked into the AMG engines, Uncle Sugar's price is 10K a pop. (drop in unit, I/P & nozzles included) the center-mount turbo setup from a Hummer/van looks like it's fit the 73-87 trucks nicely.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Macguyver82 said:
I looked into the AMG engines, Uncle Sugar's price is 10K a pop. (drop in unit, I/P & nozzles included) the center-mount turbo setup from a Hummer/van looks like it's fit the 73-87 trucks nicely.
I've tried a hummer drop-in package into a 73-87 and determined that it was alot more grief than what I am willing to tackle. There's a minor amount of shoehorning going on even with the '93&up C&K series package. biggest problem I had was the plumbing bumping into the frame and AC box. Remember, the 73-87 frame is still pretty narrow at the cab mount and that is where I had the most trouble.

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
Do appreciate the advice guys! :D

Of course, the final course of action hinges on the condition of the block/crank/heads I have now. The truck runs well, so I imagine the big parts are in good shape. We shall see, I just picked up a digital camera so when the project starts, there'll be some documentation.

I went over to motorpool too and snapped some pics of various hummer engines, if any of you need pictures of certain parts/assemblys let me know. ;Sweet

Mac

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online