6.0 possible injector issues

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bubble test will help you eliminate bad o-rings, bad coppers, cracked tips and a cracked head from the equation. It’s not a guarantee. But it’s a good tool.

Then the air test will verify no leaks in the HP oil side.

After that, you’re down to electronics, wiring, injector, or a weak HPOP.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I’d bubble test it(super fast, super easy). And if no bubbles I’d air test at the ICP since the work was performed on that side.

I bubble test and air test every truck that I take apart before I even start it. I’m t takes a few minutes. But it will save a tear down occasionally. For the one it catches, me it will make up for the time on the top there that are perfect.

There is always a chance of cutting an injector seal when installing th HP oil rail. I’ve done it and it’s cost me a bit of time testing after and tearing it back down.

If the truck passes that, and there is a running issue, then most of the time it’s electronic.

You need to isolate the possibilities.

Unfortunately even if you swap FICMs, it doesn’t tell you if it’s electronic or mechanical. It just clears up one of a dozen possibilities.

How long since the headgaskets were done?
Alright I didn’t to anything to it today I just got that video with the icp unplugged. But we air tested it when we put it bad together and it was fine. When we got it back together goin down the road it would pop a time or 2 then quit but after a few miles it cleared up till it started agian. Bad hpop idk I couldn’t see it cause driving I can hold it wide open as long as I want and it’s fine till I let off the pedal then it starts the poping. I’ll try that bubble test and the air test agian before we try a ficm.theres not a possibility that the ipr is causing this is there. Cause we went ahead and put a new one in while we were messin with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I’d bubble test it(super fast, super easy). And if no bubbles I’d air test at the ICP since the work was performed on that side.

I bubble test and air test every truck that I take apart before I even start it. I’m t takes a few minutes. But it will save a tear down occasionally. For the one it catches, me it will make up for the time on the top there that are perfect.

There is always a chance of cutting an injector seal when installing th HP oil rail. I’ve done it and it’s cost me a bit of time testing after and tearing it back down.

If the truck passes that, and there is a running issue, then most of the time it’s electronic.

You need to isolate the possibilities.

Unfortunately even if you swap FICMs, it doesn’t tell you if it’s electronic or mechanical. It just clears up one of a dozen possibilities.

How long since the headgaskets were done?
And head gaskets I’m not sure I do know it’s been done though cause you can see the residue on the degas bottle.egr is deleted it’s got custom up pipes and a built trans that’s about all I know of the truck.he told me it was studded. But it’s not which I knew when I bought it but I could tell it had work done to it and it’s a pretty nice truck.little rust but a 4wd 4 door long bed fx4 lariat for 7500 wasn’t to bad
You must be registered for see images attach

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not saying the ipr is causing it. I’m saying that when you unplug the ICP, the ipr raises the pressure and that can show sealing issues or HPOP issues. A new IPR can be bad. But not likely.

I doubt it is a bad HPOP. I was just covering possibilities in general.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And head gaskets I’m not sure I do know it’s been done though cause you can see the residue on the degas bottle.egr is deleted it’s got custom up pipes and a built trans that’s about all I know of the truck.he told me it was studded. But it’s not which I knew when I bought it but I could tell it had work done to it and it’s a pretty nice truck.little rust but a 4wd 4 door long bed fx4 lariat for 7500 wasn’t to bad
You must be registered for see images attach

You know they’ve been done because of residue on the degas?

I’m not following.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I’m not saying the ipr is causing it. I’m saying that when you unplug the ICP, the ipr raises the pressure and that can show sealing issues or HPOP issues. A new IPR can be bad. But not likely.

I doubt it is a bad HPOP. I was just covering possibilities in general.
Oh I know i was just sayin under throttle it’s fine that’s what got me so confused.only under a load though it’s like it’s loading up on fuel and igniting when the piston is dropped back down

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
You know they’ve been done because of residue on the degas?

I’m not following.
Well it shows no signs that it has a blown head gasket but there’s a residue left on the bottom of the hood and in the coolant resivor that I’ve always seen on 6.0’s that have blown the hg. He told me it had custom heads on it.like I said I’m goin purely off of what he told me I do know the egr is deleted and I know it has a built trans cause you can definitely tell it even with the tuner on stock so I kinda believe him that it’s been done other then the studs

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it shows no signs that it has a blown head gasket but there’s a residue left on the bottom of the hood and in the coolant resivor that I’ve always seen on 6.0’s that have blown the hg. He told me it had custom heads on it.like I said I’m goin purely off of what he told me I do know the egr is deleted and I know it has a built trans cause you can definitely tell it even with the tuner on stock so I kinda believe him that it’s been done other then the studs

Once this issue is sorted I’d recommend doing a coolant flush and cleaning the degas bottle. You don’t want any residual deposits in the system.

A truck can blow coolant with a tune and then not show pressurize the system with a different tune. It depends how bad it has been blown and what kind of cylinder pressures are being built up.

There is a thread that I started about doing headgaskets with the cab on. If you go to the end of it, it discusses flushes a little bit. If you want more details on doing flushes, I’ll work on adding them to that thread.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Once this issue is sorted I’d recommend doing a coolant flush and cleaning the degas bottle. You don’t want any residual deposits in the system.

A truck can blow coolant with a tune and then not show pressurize the system with a different tune. It depends how bad it has been blown and what kind of cylinder pressures are being built up.

There is a thread that I started about doing headgaskets with the cab on. If you go to the end of it, it discusses flushes a little bit. If you want more details on doing flushes, I’ll work on adding them to that thread.
Alright ya that’d be helpful so I can flush the system soon

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
There gonna start tearin into it tomorrow we didn’t get to do anything but start it so I could show um what it was doin but I went ahead and got a video of it driving so y’all could see how it acts driving.its acting like the injectors are hanging open and dumping fuel in.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Dur. I didn't even think about this earlier, but you could have a bad egr valve.
So you took it to a shop?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Dur. I didn't even think about this earlier, but you could have a bad egr valve.
So you took it to a shop?

Well the egr is deleted or looks like it anyway.it barely started today.and ya I took it to my buddy’s shop I help diagnose it or whatever and they do the work for me cause I don’t have much time to between workin in the woods and on equipment.but even the other mechanic in town is clueless about it

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Well, if you Google 6.0 powerstroke backfire, that may give you some ideas to look at.

I have been I can’t find nothin I’ve YouTubed it and everything else we’re gonna pressure test it then change the ficm if the pressure test is fine and if that don’t fix it we will try the bubble test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online