6.0 liter oil question

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a problem here. one of my teachers at school owns a 6.0 liter diesel, now some body either has been spreading a rumor or its true one. somebody told him not to use rotela t oil cause it foams up and robs hp??? i told him its probably not true. i laughed and said well just buy an idi and u wont run into this problem. i use rotella t oil. but its time for his oil to be changed and he needs to know. this truck he has is probably pushing 650 to 700 lbs torqe . so anybody know anything?? id apreciate it thankyou,stewart:dunno

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The 6.0 are know not to like Rotella. They do like other brands, especially VALVOLINE synthetic blue. They are quieter

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The 6.0's are very ******* oil. With the HEUI injection system, and will shear the oil very quickly. I ran Rotella in mine and did not have trouble. I have since changed to the MotorCraft and it seems to like it. Plus you get 5 Qyart Jugs for the same price as 4 Quarts of Rotella. I would say if he is changing it at 5000 miles with a good diesel oil, like Rotella, he whould be okay.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced so many oil pumps and HEUI pumps in 6.0s that used Rotella it's not even funny. Rotella has went down the tubes in the last few years. I use Delo 400 in all my vehicles. I'm working on getting my boss to switch over to Delo in all our buses.

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced so many oil pumps and HEUI pumps in 6.0s that used Rotella it's not even funny. Rotella has went down the tubes in the last few years. I use Delo 400 in all my vehicles. I'm working on getting my boss to switch over to Delo in all our buses.

thankyou, ill show him my thread maybe this will help him,but also i have a 6.9 that burns a little oil. i i use rotella what should i switch it to, i heard other brands may cause it to not use oil or less oil. thankyou

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Only way to know what your truck likes is to try other brands.

Its common for these truck to use a quart every 2000 miles or so though.

I'm running Motorcraft 15w40 in my truck right now. Before that it was all Rotella and I think the truck may have like the Rotella better.

Delo and Delvac are also good oils.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was devoted to Rotella for years and wouldn't use anything else till I had some analyzed after an engine issue. Turns out the samples from later purchases of oil was different from older supplies I had in stock. After that I switched over to Delo and have never looked back. My trucks also use less oil and leak less on Delo 400 than Rotella

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only tried rotella in one of my powerstrokes, and it did NOT like it, I dumped the oil after only 1800 miles and it came out thin like water with a dead cold engine. switched to Delo 400 and it was a lot happier.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think people are just blaming some 6.0 failure on oil because there's no other explanations other then crappy design

when i was in the 6.0 game i had a lot of customers using Rottella T with no issue, so my opinion would be the oil is fine and don't worry about it use it if you want to, if not, then dont

but the HEUI system is super ******* oil, and oil quality is a major thing to keep up with 6.0 trucks

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i was in the 6.0 game i had a lot of customers using Rottella T with no issue, so my opinion would be the oil is fine and don't worry about it use it if you want to, if not, then dont.

The HEUI system is super ******* oil, and oil quality is a major thing to keep up with 6.0 trucks

I definitely agree!!

Last edited:

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol yeah ill never own a new diesel to many computers and junk, did you know cummings signed a contract with dodge to where you have to take it back to the dealer to get it worked on if it has computer problems, which is basically the whole dam thing!

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Cummins is going to get ripped apart over it real quick too. Federal law mandates all vehicles must be servicable at an independent shop and that they can't charge more for the diagnostic tools than they charge a dealer.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol yeah ill never own a new diesel to many computers and junk, did you know cummings signed a contract with dodge to where you have to take it back to the dealer to get it worked on if it has computer problems, which is basically the whole dam thing!

who told you that? I work on plenty of them, computer issues and otherwise and the one place I WON'T go is the dealer, got plenty of associates that know more about the computerized systems on Cummins equipped Dodges than anyone at the dealerships.

P.S. my girlfriend just asked why you spelled Cummins with a G.... I'm so proud of her.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run synthetic rotella in mine and it's happy as can be. The problems with regular rotella began when they changed from the API "I" spec to the "J" spec in compliance with the emissions BS in 2007. It is truly not the same oil and I will not be using it in my vehicles anymore. The synthetic Rotella just changed and I am hoping the new oil is still on par with the old. Time will tell. Hell my truck is at 107k with no injector problems so far.

Due to the design of the injectors they are literally shearing the oil at pressures up to 4000 psi across the edges if the injector pistons (maybe not the correct name for them but it's how I would describe them). This is a brutal event and a weaker oil will lose its' lubricating ability rather quickly. Once this happens it leads to coking inside the injectors and eventually injector failure.

From the way Rotella seemed to evaporate in my IDI compared to Delo I've never even considered it for the 6.0. Valvoline Blue held up well in the IDI but Delvac not so much.

If I had to run a Dino oil in the 6.0 it would be Delo or the blue stuff. My .02