5th gear failure AGAIN

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok I'm just gonna have to suck it up and put in the updated nut I do believe... I'm gonna give her one more collage try... I'm going to drill and put set screws in it like the updated ones and if that doesn't work I think I'm going to go purchase a freaking new truck... this is starting to get to be a pain in my :moon:

I just retightened the damn thing last sunday then on the way down to get the new to us Truck Camper I lost it doing a little showing off on the highway -cuss

Ricken fracking thing...

the time before I tacked a spot weld on the nut but that broke off, now I didn't penetrate because I didn't want to weaken the shaft I only just very lightly tacked it with a wire welder on it's lowest setting I guess I should have turned the snot out of it and got good penetration but I was scared of what I might do to it under some of my famous launches I like to do when leaving a stop light...

So I'll be under truck on my next day off cussing and moaning...

I guess I can't complain too much because I haven't blown this one up yet...

yet....

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every one i fix, i take the big ol' miller mig and lay 3.... 3/8" long beads around the nut...never had a single problem with the shaft being weakened...never had the nut back off again either.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well I laid a one and one half inch bead on one side of the nut - got pretty good penetration on both the nut and shaft (175 amp setting) - she's back together with new fluid so I'll see if I'm going to be welding the freaking gear next time - because if it backs off this time then the shaft will have to be replaced because I could see I got into the shaft good with the burn.

I did however set the residue fluid on fire and thought for a second if I should just let it burn or put it out - then thought since it was in the garage I should go ahead and ***** it because being homeless was not on the top of my list... So we're happy for the time being...

I'm thinking that there is something more going on in my tranny that is causing the nut to back off - I'm thinking that the 240k miles has taken it's toll. It could not have anything to do with my driving style because I treat her like fine china err... I mean borrowed mule...

So I might actually have to see about getting it rebuilt or picking up a replacement for a swap before long... But time will tell... if it holds I'll leave it be, if not.... I might just............

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
175 AMPs :eek: Way to break in the new welder. A blind man would have gotten penetration with that much amperage. That'll teach it from backing off:backoff :D

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
alrighty... I have been driving the truck like a teenage kid that stole it from the nieghbors... and I can still count to 5 :thumbsup:

now that I said something I will be posting that it failed on monday after going camping this weekend - knock on wood

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online