5 ton military truck

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went to look at a 5 ton military dumptruck with my friend. Its a 1970 turbo'd 465 continetal multi fuel engine. Seemed to run good with lots of smoke ;Sweet . It was in good shape too. The guy wants 5000 for it which seems like a good deal compared to others ive seen. Is there anything I should know to tell my friend about if he buys it? This is pretty much a beefed up deuce and half right?

Chris

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
I've driven 5 ton trucks, but never a dump truck & have never worked on em at all. Always took em to the motorpool or had them come and get em when they broke LOL LOL LOL

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chris88 said:
I just went to look at a 5 ton military dumptruck with my friend. Its a 1970 turbo'd 465 continetal multi fuel engine. Seemed to run good with lots of smoke ;Sweet . It was in good shape too. The guy wants 5000 for it which seems like a good deal compared to others ive seen. Is there anything I should know to tell my friend about if he buys it? This is pretty much a beefed up deuce and half right?

Chris

What kind is it? Kaiser? That's a great deal if it has a dump installed on it already. Where can you get so much iron for $5,000?? NOWHERE. If he plans on driving it OTR, just make sure it won't cost too much to get road-ready.

Buddy of mine has the same truck at a camp upstate and we 4 wheeled that thing places only a bulldozer could go.

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hes not going to run it he just wants to get it as more of a toy then anything. Its an AM general. Its got a 5 speed spicer trans, does anyone know if its syncroed or not? The tires are still really good and the dump body works. The truck fired right up and idled fine. It smokes a lot but its black fuel smoke so its nothin to worry about. For 5 grand its a great truck I would think. If I had the money I would have bought it already. If my friend doesnt buy it the truck is most likely going to auction in atlantic city in april.

Chris

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hes not going to run it he just wants to get it as more of a toy then anything. Its an AM general. Its got a 5 speed spicer trans, does anyone know if its syncroed or not? The tires are still really good and the dump body works. The truck fired right up and idled fine. It smokes a lot but its black fuel smoke so its nothin to worry about. For 5 grand its a great truck I would think. If I had the money I would have bought it already. If my friend doesnt buy it the truck is most likely going to auction in atlantic city in april.

Chris

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am General I think it is. Hes not going to drive it OTR he just wants it as a toy. Its got a 5 speed spicer trans does any one know if thats syncroed or not? Its a good runnin truck and the dump body works fine. If he doesnt buy the the truck it will be going to atlantic city for auction in april.

Chris

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Sounds good. The trans should be synchronized. Top speed will be ~55MPH, should be governed to 2400RPM. Tires are probably 9.00-20 tube type.

Shift pattern is odd--
R25

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chris88 said:
Am General I think it is. Hes not going to drive it OTR he just wants it as a toy. Its got a 5 speed spicer trans does any one know if thats syncroed or not? Its a good runnin truck and the dump body works fine. If he doesnt buy the the truck it will be going to atlantic city for auction in april.

Chris

I had a 5 speed spicer and it was synchroed. Not sure if it was the same one though. ES05D I think it was.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
being a 5 ton the tires will be the BIG ones.they didn't use the 9.00x20s on anything larger than a Deuce.Think the 5tons used 11.00x20 and have the extra lugs so you can't just grab deuce wheels and tires like I do for $25 each.Also,a 5 ton GVW is well into Commercial Drivers License area unless you find a loop hole and register it with Zero load at which point you better not put anything into the bed.I personally would go for a Deuce and a half.14,000Lb Curb weight,5000Lb load rating(10,000Lb on road but DMV down here uses military "offroad" rating).Parts are easier to find and cheaper(the $25 tires mounted on rims with 90% tread for example)

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
being a 5 ton the tires will be the BIG ones.they didn't use the 9.00x20s on anything larger than a Deuce.Think the 5tons used 11.00x20 and have the extra lugs so you can't just grab deuce wheels and tires like I do for $25 each.Also,a 5 ton GVW is well into Commercial Drivers License area unless you find a loop hole and register it with Zero load at which point you better not put anything into the bed.I personally would go for a Deuce and a half.14,000Lb Curb weight,5000Lb load rating(10,000Lb on road but DMV down here uses military "offroad" rating).Parts are easier to find and cheaper(the $25 tires mounted on rims with 90% tread for example)
They'll be 11.00X20's like mentioned, and be a 10 lug big rig pattern. Also, you'll get ~6.72 gears(some were into the 7.'s). Sounds like the fuel screw was already done too. Surely worth the price...who bought it?