5 speed

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they made one that would fit behind the diesel, I guess you could modify one to fit, with some work (anythings possible) and as long as you didn't pull anything it would be ok just to drive around, Maybe?

The mazda 5 speed is a light duty manual OD trans found in the half ton trucks.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Beat me to the punch...the m5's came off of the 4.9 six and both the 351 and 302 v8's. The 6.9 is a BIG heavy torquey engine that would litterally EAT that transmission, especially when towing or driving hard. The bolt pattern isn't anywheres close to matching a diesel transmission. You'll want to try and find a t19 or a ZF in the diesel bolt pattern for that 6.9.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Goof should know the limit's of the M5, he bought one from me when his puked with 2 tons of salt in the back of his F150 4x4...LOL....I have 3 of the M5OD's in my parts collections, good trans for a gasser but they would die a horrible death behind a diesel if you could make it fit in the first place...:puke:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
mine blew up on a 4.9 inline six....great tranny for milage and maybe pulling a pp up tent camper, but the zf is jsut WAY stronger....I can lift and carry an M5 5 speed as a joke, but I can barely even pick up a ZF 5 speed from the garage floor

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks I guess im stuck with the 3 speed auto for a while. Thanx guys for the quick response.

I just picked this truck up (87 6.9n/a 3 speed auto) and the tranny has some issues. When driving it will not shift out of first till you hit 35 then it will not shift third till you hit 55. I know i just got it and I'm gonna change the filter and fluid. I know this truck will do so much better with a manuel tranny

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I would look for a t19 4 speed out of a 1983-1986 or a ZF out of a 1987 and up 6.9 or 7.3....it will bolt right up and be plenty strone....there are two types of zf's S5-42 and S5-47...(420 ft.lbs and 470 ft.lbs of torque handling) I would try and find a zf for the overdrive gear.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
no sir...they might look the same, but they won't fit. Thank god for engineers, i mean making the bolt pattern for the diesels AND big blocks the same would be just too easy!

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx again for the quick repley, I guess my list of Ford parts to look for just got bigger.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
you can get adapter places to make almost and engine fit almost and transmission/transfer case, etc, but the question is at what cost? Check a junk yard for the transmissions that will fit (t19 and ZF series), there is bound to be one kicking around somewheres.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online