5" or 6" stacks

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi,

I'm thinking of putting stacks to my truck :thumbsup: , don't really know for sure is the most wise move that i can made, but what the hell we live only once. So my big question is like it is on the title, is there much difference if i'll choose 5" or 6" stacks, i am looking at a dual setup. Tomorrow i'm going to find some test tubes with those diameters to see visual appearance, but is the functionality different or does that diameter difference even matter? I've also heard that there might be some soot problems after rain, but if i drill a small hole where rain water can drain out from the pipes, will that make the situation little better?

As usual thanks for your input in advance, they come in need as i don't have any previous experience of them...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bigger the pipe, the more it will resonate....I had 5's on mine and hated them for that reason.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 and espeically 6 inch dual stacks would be way too big. There will be no velocity to the exhaust and it will kind of just fall out of the top of the stacks. There's a guy in town with twin 6 inch stacks on his Dodge and in all honesty....... it looks ridiculous. Way out of proportion to the truck and the smoke kind of farts out into his bed.

Heath

Last edited:

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the input i need :thumbsup: , but if the 6" is too big and 5" might be also too big, would a 4" look too small then? Well i have to look for some different diameters tomorrow...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I think 4 would look about perfect. 5's looked just a little too big on my truck, they look OK on some of the newer "bigger" trucks. 6's and 7's pretty much always look stupid because they are just too big.

I pulled my stacks off last year but I've been thinking about putting them back on with some 4" turnouts on there.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had dual 5" on my truck and I liked them except for the soot down my bed sides when they had condensation on them. I had turn-outs also. I'm going to put a single 4" up through the bed with a rain cap in the future but I'm working on building a fuel transfer tank and heat it with my exhaust. Kinda like a dual chamber tank with the hot exhaust around the oil I'm going to have in the tank. But thats still in the works:sly

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing you have to remember the bigger you go the less velocity you will have. Even with my Dual 5" my exhaust didn't blow out real fast unless I was in my upper rpm's. Most of the time the little smoke I did make just would crawl out of the stacks. If you are going for looks only go big as you want but they will resonate more.

tractorman86

Reaction score
personally i like 5inchers on our body styles. if you want the looks of a 5 or 6" but want the smoke to BLOW out instead of just meandering its way out do 4" plain steal stacks about 6" below where you want your finished product then put a bigger stack with a 4" bottom over it you can get them from grand rock

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have dual 6in miters on mine and i like it alot i personally think 5in looks to small and iam even getting sick of my 6s they just dont seem to big anymore i might switch to one 8in

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
i have dual 6in miters on mine and i like it alot i personally think 5in looks to small and iam even getting sick of my 6s they just dont seem to big anymore i might switch to one 8in

i like your style;Sweet im the same way the bigger the better:sly

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like your style;Sweet im the same way the bigger the better:sly

yeah man!!! i was thinking about putting multiple smaller pipes in my stacks to cut down on the resonation idk if it will work but ill just have to try it i guess:dunno but it still sounds bad a!! like it is:sly

and i dont get the velocity thing as long as u dont have back pressure on the turbo (if u have one) who cares how fast it comes out it just needs to get outLOL

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
do 4" plain steal stacks about 6" below where you want your finished product then put a bigger stack with a 4" bottom over it you can get them from grand rock

That would also act as a heat shield and keep the pipe(s) cool to the touch. ;Sweet

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Its personal preference as for size and for the velocity part I've never seen a difference once the smoke exits the stack if your moving the wind just blows it around. I think 5" looks best on the obs and atleast 6" on the superdutys cause the cabs are so much bigger. I have 5" on our 03 and wish I would have went with 6" and may still eventually