4x4 shifter not going to 2wd

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.....Now, my shifter will not go into 2wd. It does 4lo to 4hi normal and perfect, but will not go into 2wd. The shifter feels like it bottomed out to 2wd(I think) anyone run into this issue? I had it in 4hi driving through the snow out of state on my way to work when my brake line busted, so I had it towed, and torn apart for other issues, so it's been just over 2 weeks in below zero and stayed in 4hi. Just throwing that in there in case it might have something to do with the issue.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go look underneath; I'd probably disconnect the actual lever that connects to the transfer case. Move it by hand(or with a lever/extension if needed), and run it through all the gears.

If your hubs aren't locked in, you should be able to tell when you are in either Neutral or 2wd because the front shaft will spin freely.

If it does work, chances are the issue is in the linkage. If you still can't get it into 2x4, transfer case may need to be pulled and disassembled.

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go look underneath; I'd probably disconnect the actual lever that connects to the transfer case. Move it by hand(or with a lever/extension if needed), and run it through all the gears.

If your hubs aren't locked in, you should be able to tell when you are in either Neutral or 2wd because the front shaft will spin freely.

If it does work, chances are the issue is in the linkage. If you still can't get it into 2x4, transfer case may need to be pulled and disassembled.
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an OBS truck appears in your avatar, I assume this is the truck with the shifter that will not go into 2WD. The shifters in the OBS trucks require you to "push down" to move from 2WD to 4x4. What happens is that moisture and road grime get in between the outer shifter tube and the shifter handle shaft. Then you get corrosion between the two and the shifter hnadle can no longer move up and down as it needs to in order to get by the detents. My suggestion would be to remove the shifter assembly from the truck nd then take is apart. Separate the handle from the outer tube and clean up any corrosion. Then put back together a good synthetic grease for lube and make sure the handle moves freely within the tube. Put it all back together in the truck and it should work if there is no other damage to the linkage. Some go so far as to grill and tap the outer tube for a grease fitting so grease can be pumped in from time to time.

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an OBS truck appears in your avatar, I assume this is the truck with the shifter that will not go into 2WD. The shifters in the OBS trucks require you to "push down" to move from 2WD to 4x4. What happens is that moisture and road grime get in between the outer shifter tube and the shifter handle shaft. Then you get corrosion between the two and the shifter hnadle can no longer move up and down as it needs to in order to get by the detents. My suggestion would be to remove the shifter assembly from the truck nd then take is apart. Separate the handle from the outer tube and clean up any corrosion. Then put back together a good synthetic grease for lube and make sure the handle moves freely within the tube. Put it all back together in the truck and it should work if there is no other damage to the linkage. Some go so far as to grill and tap the outer tube for a grease fitting so grease can be pumped in from time to time.
Sounds like a good plan. Soon I have daylight I'll do that. Thanks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some folks have been knkwn to drill a small hole tap it and add a grease nipple to kibosh the problem forever when it is apart and cleaned....

JM7.3CW Eh!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can be a ***** to use when new. My '92 F-350 was. roll very slow and try to shift (less than walking speed).

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the opposite happen to my shifter, couldn't get into 4wd. had to pull the shifter and rebuild there is a large bolt that become seized and wont let you shift, just had to pull every thing apart lube everything up add some anti seize and your good.

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went and bought a new part. I know, I might have been able to take it apart and lube it so it works good again, but I really like how smooth the new one is. I will repair the old and learn my lesson if I get the old one as good as the new one.
You must be registered for see images