4x4 economics question

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I have a 1985 f250 4x4 with a D50 TTB that I have never driven. The engine needs rebuilding but before going there, the PO said in the ad I bought it from that the front end needed some work, indicating that it had the death wobble at some undisclosed speed. Is it worth replacing bearings and bushings in one of these axles, or should I bite the bullet and install a D60 w/kingpins?

The truck looks to have been driven pretty hard, I have no idea about maintenance or repair reliability, but a clue might be that the PO "installed" an electric vacuum pump after the mechanical one failed. Actually, it was tipped up against the wheel housing without any way of keeping it in place except for the power wire.

The truck is going to be a fun vehicle, not in use very often except to take into the desert to explore or hunt.

There is no timeline for the project, so feel free to make any suggestions. It also has a turbo of unknown vintage, make or condition.

Thanks!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Kuckledragger, you can count me as one who would tell you to invest in the D60 and do it up right. I have owned more TTB Ford's than I can remember (mostly F150's), but also a couple of F250's and even an Exploder and Ranger. On both the Exploder and Ranger, I put new bushings, ball joints, u-joints, etc. in the TTB. I am not a TTB hater, as it is still a better front axle than the weak, independent CV car axle type junk used in many trucks, but it just isn't ideal for alignment, heavy use, extreme longevity. etc. I have had my F350 for a while now and the 60 is a real front axle for a truck. No more alignment issues, fewer bushings to worry about, solid tie rod between the wheels, etc. My truck has a "ball joint 60" as it is a '94, but still love it. maybe not quite as strong as the KP version, but perhaps a bit easier to replace the ball joints. What worries me is the next truck I buy will either need a 60 or I am going to have to swap one in. I wish you could still get a 1/2 ton truck with a reverse rotation solid D44 up front!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most all will say 60
A few will say fix it
I say drive one not effed up and see.....
Not a power house suck at turning radius lots of bushings to sag.

Does out ride a s/a for dd use.

My vote ????

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ttb's didn't come off the assembly line with death wobble problems. They drive nice when everything is working correctly and aligned. They are getting so old now most have problems unless they have been rebuilt.

And you can have weird hard to find problems that come with a 20 + year old truck. The tricky hard to find problems are loose bolts and rivets that hold the center pivot frame brackets, loose rivets that hold the front crossmember to the side frame rails, and cracks in the frame in the same crossmember/side rail area and cracks around the steering box mounting area.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a 1980 f350 gasser 4x4 4 speed manual (real cheap), does anyone know if they used the D60? This may be the answer to my questions.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a 1980 f350 gasser 4x4 4 speed manual (real cheap), does anyone know if they used the D60? This may be the answer to my questions.

I don't believe the D60 made it into the F350 until the 1986 model year. Up until then , even the F350 was TTB.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what you describe, I think the truck needs far more work than its worth. Decent trucks can still be found at bargain prices, I always say the drive time to get a good truck is the best investment you will ever make.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
From what you describe, I think the truck needs far more work than its worth. Decent trucks can still be found at bargain prices, I always say the drive time to get a good truck is the best investment you will ever make.

That is part of why this project has not yet started. I have much of what is needed for the engine rebuild but am unfamiliar with the 4x4 systems, their idiosyncrasies and the parts cost to rebuild them. The truck is also not in wonderful cosmetic shape. The f350 donor (bargain basement, maybe less than scrap price) looks very nice and would be a slam dunk but for the lack of a D60. Part of the donor's low price is that it is a lien sale. no problem for me, it is a parts truck.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I have a 1985 f250 4x4 with a D50 TTB that I have never driven. The engine needs rebuilding but before going there, the PO said in the ad I bought it from that the front end needed some work, indicating that it had the death wobble at some undisclosed speed. Is it worth replacing bearings and bushings in one of these axles, or should I bite the bullet and install a D60 w/kingpins?

The truck looks to have been driven pretty hard, I have no idea about maintenance or repair reliability, but a clue might be that the PO "installed" an electric vacuum pump after the mechanical one failed. Actually, it was tipped up against the wheel housing without any way of keeping it in place except for the power wire.

The truck is going to be a fun vehicle, not in use very often except to take into the desert to explore or hunt.

There is no timeline for the project, so feel free to make any suggestions. It also has a turbo of unknown vintage, make or condition.

Thanks!

I say worry about it later, check for slop up front, and balance the tires, don't worry about it until you know how it's gonna affect you

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check out the D50 for worn parts, then let that help you with an educated decision. Dana50 had external full circle clips on axle shafts, indestructible . But they did like to bottom out on the L bump stop and break the TTB beam on the left side . a small lift fixes this but under a diesel it is an important thing to look for.

I'm not a TTB lover or hater, they have their place. I bought a new 1996 F250 7.3/ZF SC shortbed and never liked the way it wandered on the highway, several alignments and added steering stabalizer and rib tread front tires nothing improved it........................... I did not use it offroad eventhough it came with frt/rear posi.

the TTB 50 did handle better when it came with sway bars but man that was a lot of parts in the front suspension.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It costs close to a grand to go through a 60 and do it right if it's not in tip top shape. I don't know what it is for a 50 but I suspect it's not that much different once you add up all the bits. For what you are going to do with it, I don't honestly know if it would matter depending on your tolerance for drivablity issues. It's hard to beat a 60 for tough out running around though.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
This thread is about obsolete now. I have agreed to buy a 1987 F350 cab and chassis one ton 4x4. I have a feeling it will be way easier to rebuild that engine and fix whatever else might be going on than to try to refurbish the current truck.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Lol..swap 60..nuff said....

Why swap? I will have a DRW 4x4 that could probably go anywhere I want and drag along a house trailer to boot. The body is not perfect but serviceable, and I can put a service bed on it for tools, spares, water and camping equipment. All this without having to swap axles or change gears (the F250 has 3.54, the F350 has 4.10)! There is the slight issue of an engine (and probably turbo) rebuild...