460 guzler to 6.9 swap ?s

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 89 f350 with a 460/c6/205, its on 38"s with 4.10's
i am going to buy a 84 2wd f350 with 6.9/t19 (wrecked ) for parts
i also have a np435 for a 4x with the 6.69 first gear
now for some ?s, i am going to be rebuilding the truck and was wondering if the 435 will work ok behind the 6.9 with that deep of a first gear ? if not, whats involved to make the t19 4wd ? i would rather not go divorced because i have a bw1356 that i am going to stick inbetween the trans and t-case.

this is the **** i will be working with, thanks for any input to help a diesel newbie

You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The NP435 should work just fin behind the 6.9. Just use the bellhousing from the donor vehicle(t19) and you should be golden. You probably won't need the granny gear from the T19 or NP435 except for heavy hauling/towing or rock crawling from what I hear. But you have it if you need it. It will not be as fast as that 460, but it will at least get your fuel mileage into the low 10s or better depending on how you drive it. A turbo and auxillary o/d transmission are great mods for these trucks,
Welcome and keep us posted

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree sounds pretty doable although i would for sure keep the np205. What was involved in putting that 205 on the back of that c6 as i am purchasing a 205 this week

parker

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you getting title and reg for the wrecked diesel?
this is very important for kali. CARB and DMV don't care for diesels whatsoever and your conversion might render your truck unregisterable. there's ways around this issue. PM's are prolly the best way to talk about this.
good part is the frame crossmember requires little modification to take a diesel. I do have a diesel radiator support for the bricknose front end if you desire to keep it. It's yours but you will need to make a drive down to the SF bay area to pick it up. I can't help you much on the transfercase issues other than you will need a t-19 that is set up for 4x4.
good luck;Sweet you got a very unique chassis to play with there.

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a crew-cab mounted on a 133" wheelbase frame?

yes, but the new set up will be built on the 84 frame. this all depends on if i can get the tittle from the p.o. of the diesel. i had hack the crap out of the floorboard to make it fit the standard cab frame. the new truck is a c.c. longbed dually, so i wil use the new frame and cab but i will shorten it to fit my bed.

so build will be,
84 cab and frame
89 front clip
89 5'bed
6.9/435/1356doubler/205
d60/sterling 10.25 with 4.10
57" rear springs in front, 64" chevys in back

i am useing the 84 frame, because its unmolested. mine has been through to many trial and error's. it 4 linked in the back now, so i want ditch it wile the trucks down. i dont feel safe towing anything, and i now have toyota to wheel so this will be the tow/recovery rig.

will my brand new radiator work with the 6.9, or are they bigger?

so the leftovers will be

d70 rear, unkown gears
ttb front suspension 2wd
cut crewcab, fits 133 wb frames
t19 2wd
460/c6 and wiring, runs good but has a noise coming from the back(mayby flexplate broke again?) and has a broken chunk on 1 head at 1 of the exhaust ports (you can hear it leak when you first start it but it goes away:confused: ) c6 works fine

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i like the look of that truck, the diesel has its own bell pattern. the 435 will fit behind it fine though with a diesel bell housing. i dont really think the extra low will be a problem. i could take off in second with my old 4 speed truck without a problem, which soulds essentually like what you will be doing.

i was also under the impression you all the ford transfercases had the same bolt pattern and spline count. you did however have to notch the transfercase adapter for the shift rod clearance putting some of the old transfercases on the newer stuff IIRC. if you are looking at a double setup i would stick with a cast iron adapter to. i think you will be asking for trouble if you use an aluminum adapter with all the weight hanging off.

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the 435 output is cast iron, i will be building a big ass trans crossmember to suport all of the weight.

does any body know if my new 460 radiator will work with the idi or am i going to have to get a new one (again) ?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI rads are downflow. and even the smaller one(fits in a gasser core support with some minor mods) has quite a bit more area than a 460 rad. If you aren't towing HEAVY a 460 rad may keep it cool, but if you are, I would want to go to a diesel one. The one from your engine donor will be useable though.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bad news...a 460 will tow WAY WAY better than a 6.9 NA (non turbo)...

I know...had both...didnt wanna feed the 460 anymore..now I gotta drive in the slow lane with a big load..but I do get better mileage loaded in the van (6.9) than I got in the 460 EMPTY!!

workin on my 6.9 now to get more power!!:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes