4 high is hard to select

fastadam

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a quick question. I have a 1987 f250 4x4 and 4 low works like a champ and 4 high works great when I can get it to engage. The 4x4 light comes on at the dash but only with a few tries can I get it to actually drive the front wheels. Could my linkage be damaged? I haven't got under the truck today due to the bad weather but if it's just an adjustment or a quick trouble shooting thing than I would try it. Other wise I'm gonna wait till this weekend when it warms up. But if you guys can give me a heads up on what to look for it would be much appreciated. And like I said 4wd works works great when it engages.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you having trouble going past 4 hi? The reason I ask is some of these trucks have a 4x4 shifter where you have to pull the lever toward your leg to go to neutral and then 4 low. There is a gate that sets the shifter in the correct position, and a lever that fits in the gate. The lever/shifter stick pivot on a bolt under there, and this bolt likes to rust and freeze up. It will freeze up in the position where you can move the lever back and forth without the gate helping you find the correct gear, making it difficult to figure out where you are at.

Mine had this problem, and it would keep popping out of low range. When I figured out what was going on, I had to take the 4x4 shifter apart, take some penetrating oil and loosen the pivot. If yours is like this, you will see right away what I am talking about if you get under there and take it off the truck.

fastadam

Reaction score
I am able to go past 4 hi and get to neutral and 4 lo now the 4x4 light is off and on even if 4wd is engaged in hi or lo. It still illuminates low range but not 4x4 when in 4lo but it drives the front just fine in lo even with the 4x4 light off. Seemed to kick out of 4 hi today and just fall back to 2hi...? But the shifter was still in the "4 hi" position. But it is "stiff" going from neutral to 4 lo compared to going from 2hi to 4hi....don't know if it should be like that or not?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is 'finicky' like that, the light does not go on for 4hi and sometimes will not go on for 4lo, however it the 4x4 works fine. Although sometimes getting into 4lo is quite the task. I attribute mine to rust and will have to get under the truck and lube the daylights out of everything once I get back into town and the weather is better...that being said i am going to try pulling the lever towards my leg like Franklin suggested

Just out of curiosity how cold is it down there? Today in Grande Prairie it is -32C with windchill

Edit: I have never had trouble getting into 4hi...I am not sure how it is on your rig but on mine 4hi is a few inches back from 2hi

fastadam

Reaction score
Well for us it actually is the coolest night of the year so far. We got down right to zero last night but just under Freezing all day. I don't have any problem getting past the 4hi position to neutral its from neutral to 4lo that is stiff. It's like it just skips right passed 4hi some how... I know the drive line is good. I was worried about that until I realized 4 lo works just fine. Is there anything internally that could not be engaging like it should and still let 4lo work normally? I need to see what case is under it and then find a service manual. How many different options where there in this year range? Mine was produced in may of 87 and has the 5 speed manual tranny if that helps.
And if i get it into 4hi it seems to disengage and go back to 2hi with out my knowledge until I notice how it's driving. And thank you guys for the input. I'm new to this truck still. But I'm learning alot. The thing is actually really simple once you start getting into stuff. .. At least so far. Lol

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine use to be a little difficult and straight impossible to go to 4lo. Like 3ft pry bar on the linkage and it wouldn't go into low range. The cam selector thing inside the transfer case was worn out. Might be some of your troubles but if it is working I'd let it go.

fastadam

Reaction score
4lo is fine and easy to get to its 4hi that is giving me the fits. Either not engaging or it will engage and then the next time I take off from a stop it won't be in 4hi anymore but the shifter will be in the "4hi" position. I would prefer 4lo to be screwed up actaully. I use 4hi alot more. And thanks again guys I really appreciate the help. I have some good things to check and hopefully I can figure this out with yalls help.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its not external linkage worn it could be the cam selector shifter thing inside worn and moving between 2hi and 4hi but not moving the shifter. If that makes any sense to anyone else...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4lo is fine and easy to get to its 4hi that is giving me the fits. Either not engaging or it will engage and then the next time I take off from a stop it won't be in 4hi anymore but the shifter will be in the "4hi" position. I would prefer 4lo to be screwed up actaully. I use 4hi alot more. And thanks again guys I really appreciate the help. I have some good things to check and hopefully I can figure this out with yalls help.

If the diagram on your transfer case shifter has a little right angle thing on it, I bet you do have the gated shifter. You should not be able to pull it back freely to 4 low if it's working properly. It will go back to 4 high and stop, and will not go into neutral or 4 low unless you pull the lever toward your leg. Yours is froze up like mine was.

P.S. Now that I think about it, I am not sure if you have to pull it toward your leg to get into neutral or 4 low. Can't remember exactly how it goes.

fastadam

Reaction score
Franklin: yes it is gated then from what u said. But it does move over and go to neutral and 4lo like it should. The only problem I have is the movement from 2hi to 4hi. Neutral and 4lo work as they should. I will check and make sure all is free like you said. I'm hoping it's something easy and I don't have to drop the case.

Farmer frank: if that was the case would it still got to neutral and 4lo like mine does? I hope it's not an internal problem.