4.6 Triton problems

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My FIL has a 96 f150 with the 4.6 Triton. It's hardly ever driven anywhere. Maybe 100 miles a month, if that.
I believe it over heated a few times, then started having a cylinder 1 misfire. I read the common problem was a leaky intake gasket, so he "thought" it'd be a good idea to run some stop leak. Well problem persists and IIUC, still uses a little coolant.

Today we pulled the plugs to replace and do a compression check. Well the Triton uses a special adapter to do a CT, which wasn't included in his cheapo freight test kit.
So I pushed a piece of hose down in the plug hole and had him crank it over. It would only pull a vacuum on my finger, no pressure out at all.
I compared it to the next cylinder which would actually push out some pressure.

The plug in that cylinder was brand new, put in like last week. It was already covered in black from inclompletely burned fuel.
With it running I could pull the plug wire with absolutely no change in idle.
No blowby either.

So it definitely seems to be a valve problem.
I'm not too familiar with the OHC Tritons. Do they have lifters?
How are their valves actuated?

I could see a cam lobe through the oil cap, looked to have some wear going on.

Any ideas?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might want to check what year the truck is, cause in 96 the 4.6 wasnt an option in a pickup. now that being said, the 4.6 isnt really that hard to work on, but now here is where your in luck, i have 4.6 sohc engine just sitting in my garage waiting for someone to buy it, i pulled it out of a 1996 mustang to put a 460 into it for someone, and kept the engine for my 1999 mustang. i put a complete gasket set in the engine and its just sitting there ready to go. if interested it could be bought for an inexpensive price.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
May not have the year right. But I know it's a 4.6 Triton.
Doing some research, I think a cam follower fell off. Apparently it's pretty common.

What kind of price you thinking? Depending where you are, I could maybe come pick it up.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So the truck is a 97.

Let me tell you, the valve covers are a biotch to get off. It literally took several hours. Maybe 30 minutes getting all bolts loose.
When I go to put it back in, I'm lifting the cab a few inches.

But it definitely is a cam foller (rocker) that fell off.
Common causes for that are wrong viscosity oil, worn cam follower "tensioner," and sludgie engines.
Literally the WORST engine I have EVER seen. Good ¼-⅜ inch of sludge buildup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online