4.10 and 3.55 comparison.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
This isnt the fan clutch, ive heard that come on haha. F250 ready for lift off. But still, just engine noise is incredible inside my truck. I guess it must be the metal head liner and limited padding in the cab.

Is the intake hose gone on your truck?... Having the air intake hose and plastic core-support piece on makes it way quieter. A loose lid and/or improperly installed air box will make a bunch of noise too. I don't know how many times over the years I've had to reach under the hood of one of my IDI's and tighten the air box bolt down to cut out the noise that exists when it's loose.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the intake hose is on the truck and the filter tight. Its just a loud motor I guess? Also the lack of insulation of any sort in a F250 Custom.

romulus

Reaction score
i wish i didn't have to rev so high going down the freeway at 75. would love a 2spd rearend

how can i tell what ratios i have?

mine is a 93 factory turbo, ZF5 4x4, dana 50 ifs, don't know what the rear end is

gatorman21218

Reaction score
i wish i didn't have to rev so high going down the freeway at 75. would love a 2spd rearend

how can i tell what ratios i have?

mine is a 93 factory turbo, ZF5 4x4, dana 50 ifs, don't know what the rear end is

Well there are a few ways to tell, but my guess is you have a sterling 10-1/4 with 4.10s.

1. look at the sticker on the door for the axle code and post the code here.

2. look at the rear axle for a tag with the gear ratio (something like 4L10 or 3L55)

3. jack the rear up and spin the tire around 1 rotation and count the revolutions of the drive shaft.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
Well there are a few ways to tell, but my guess is you have a sterling 10-1/4 with 4.10s.

1. look at the sticker on the door for the axle code and post the code here.

2. look at the rear axle for a tag with the gear ratio (something like 4L10 or 3L55)

3. jack the rear up and spin the tire around 1 rotation and count the revolutions of the drive shaft.

them multiply by 2, IIRC.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Yeah, the intake hose is on the truck and the filter tight. Its just a loud motor I guess? Also the lack of insulation of any sort in a F250 Custom.

With my truck at 70 I am at 2200 RPM, and then have the side pipe right behind the cab corner..... Let's just say there isn't much conversation in my truck ;Really

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested in selling them?

Sorry, not right now....SOMEDAY I would like to install them. And while you can find Sterling 3.55's on ebay all the time, the D50 3.54's don't come up as often for a good price so I would like to hang on to them for now at least.

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
if anyone is local to me that wants a d50 3.54 front end, i saved one. only driverside arm with the center section still attached.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably would, but...3.55's and 4.10's were factory and can be had for cheap. 3.73's would have to be picked up as aftermarket so they would cost more.

Travis91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive seen ppl pull 20,000 with 3:09s in a factory D250 with a cummins. well ive seen people pull 20,000 pound wagons with f150s and Z71s

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mabye this is just a noob question but wouldnt a 3.73 be a good in the middle ratio?

yes!;Sweet
and ford wised up to this with the super duty.

ive seen ppl pull 20,000 with 3:09s in a factory D250 with a cummins.
the problem is,even if the engine has the grunt to compensate,this is WAY to stressful on the drive train.lower gears greatly reduce stress on things.
this is why you see a lot of broken parts on trucks with people running larger tires,but didn't re gear down to setup their trucks with performance gears to handle the work they do.
bent drive shafts,blown out u joints,axles broken etc.etc.
throwing out any fuel savings in parts.
it doesn't pay to run to high of gear for your application.

Last edited:

Travis91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasnt endorsing their actions. im fully aware of the stresses put on drive trains with oversize tires or pulling to much weight.