3G alternator voltage test

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
As of yesterday, I completed the 1G to 3G conversion on the truck in my signature for around $40.00. U pull it alternator (tested and passed at Auto Zone) and harness, napa mega fuse holder, 175 mega amp fuse, ring connectors and wire lum.

I have read several post on the conversion, but have not been able to find where anyone posted the results of their conversion, in relationship to voltage output.

My results are as following:

At approxmately 60* this morning; battery voltage was 12.32.....

High Idle was 14.15 volts at 950 rpm with no load....

While still at High Idle, I added A/C and High Fan, radio and doors open, to create load-- voltage stayed at 14.15 volts

While still at High Idle, with A/C, High Fan, radio, doors open; I added Hi-Beam headlights to the list; with a voltage output of 14.06

Final test of all the above plus windshield wipers on high voltage was 13.91.

Returning to idle speed of 550 rpm and the load reduced to just doors open and radio on voltage returned to 14.15

Further testing at regular idle of 550 rpm

Later in this morning, with a warm engine and 73* outside; I performed the following test.

Before cranking with a voltage of 12.41

At idle with no load applied voltage was 14.11

With the same rpm with Doors open, A/C and Fan set at High and Radio voltage dropped to 13.92

Adding Hi-Beam headlights voltage dropped to 13.00

With the last addition of the Wipers on High the voltage drop went to 12.57

Unloading the circuit the voltage returned to 14.03 after two minutes of idle......

My question is this, does this alternator fall in the line with those of you that have the 3G alternator conversion or have I messed something up with this install?????

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds fine to me, min output should be 13.5 volts, your over that my a marginal amount under extreme load thus yer safe.

Yer headlights will be so much brighter at idle and if you haven't already done the relay mod, well...WOW now you'll see the MOON ALICE!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I really need to get a voltage gauge installed. I should be doing that in the next week or so because the factory gauge just drives me nuts. I swapped in my 92 engine and the alt gauge reads kind of on the low side. Once I get the volt gauge hooked up, I'll let ya know. Very good details by the way...

Riot, are you referring to the relay mod kind of like the kit that LMC sells? You know, except the whole....not finding any damn replacement relays thing lol.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Thanks for the min. output, I was wondering what it was, so that could possibly mean that this alternator is on it's way out the door then?

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
flareside, I agree with the Ford factory voltmeter, I still have it operating, addition to the aftermarket one; they are different as night and day. Ford in their wisdom put some sorry gauges in these trucks.

When I made my harness, I cut the price of the headlight mod in about half compared to LMC and used relays that u can get at any parts store. If you need help in finding the diagram, holler at me...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the min. output, I was wondering what it was, so that could possibly mean that this alternator is on it's way out the door then?

No no, that is not what I am saying. I am stating the MINIMUM output an alternator should put out.

Remember that the alternator in question when loaded with a full load was able to maintain above 13.5 which would be adequate to maintain the batteries while providing sufficient electrical current /amperage and voltage to supply the needs of a fully loaded system.

It is when your less than 13.5 volts at full load you go into a negative and start to draw from the battery.

I would say run it, be happy.

I payed dearly for a 250 AMP 3G for my truck, I mean quite dear. is it worth it....depends on whom you talk to. I do work in autowrecking and can and have picked up 3G's for next to nothing. Would I use them sure. Would I expect them to last compared to what I bought under extreme conditions...winching at night in rain/sleet/snow...NOPE but it would likely get me home!

Run it till that unit drops! Then get a really nice rebuilt one...

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=75 Is a good article with lots of info and they sell nice units too.:thumbsup:

Remember run it if yer not happy upgrade then....not before you know though!

And ya...get some good guages:sly

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds fine to me, min output should be 13.5 volts, your over that my a marginal amount under extreme load thus yer safe.

Yer headlights will be so much brighter at idle and if you haven't already done the relay mod, well...WOW now you'll see the MOON ALICE!

Hoookay!!!

So now I find out I can "upgrade" my headlights too???

When will the lunacy stop!??!

Gotta source?? Explanation?

You know.... some people like to fuss with Corvette's, some folks rice burnin soda can 's, motorcycles.... this truck is becoming an obsession. :hail cookoo

Tranny should be done by weeks end... gotta figure out this headlight thing. Any help would be appreciated.... trying not to highjack this thread... TOO LATE!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Then if you need even more juice than the factory 3g can give you, find a diesel electric rebuilder, and have that sucker modified. We have one around here that does starters and alternators just for diesels, and they do a heavy duty mod for ambulances on the 3g that puts out a steady 200 amps

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Hey RLDSL,

I'm just trying to feed a starving animal here. I was under the impression that the 3g conversion would solve my problem of the hundred amp alternator with the external regulator being taken out of the picture, along with also getting an additional 30 amps to boot. That I was getting ahead and would be ready for one of my next modifications. Which is deleting the clutch fan and adding a e-fan or two.

Please someone advice me if this is on the right track for the future mod or do I need to go back to the drawing board??? Thanks in Advance....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hey RLDSL,

I'm just trying to feed a starving animal here. I was under the impression that the 3g conversion would solve my problem of the hundred amp alternator with the external regulator being taken out of the picture, along with also getting an additional 30 amps to boot. That I was getting ahead and would be ready for one of my next modifications. Which is deleting the clutch fan and adding a e-fan or two.

Please someone advice me if this is on the right track for the future mod or do I need to go back to the drawing board??? Thanks in Advance....

3g will be enough for most things, but my 92 came with one and with my recent e fan conversion, I end up having to run maintnence charges on my batts to keep them from running dead, so it's getting the 200 amp mod on the alternator

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey RLDSL,

Perhaps that should have been said in your original post. Anyway, you should be fine, if you run into issues then it's time to get a kick ass powermaster or other aftermarket 3G, it's the simplicity of the 3G the reliability and readily availability that makes it such a great way to upgrade. That was a lot of words with T on the end:rotflmao

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I guess I was thinking about the e-fan mod., and should have added that information to better explain.... Hard for someone to help, if information is missing... Thanks RLDSL and Riot for the help.....

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Hoookay!!!

So now I find out I can "upgrade" my headlights too???

When will the lunacy stop!??!

Gotta source?? Explanation?

You know.... some people like to fuss with Corvette's, some folks rice burnin soda can 's, motorcycles.... this truck is becoming an obsession. :hail cookoo

Tranny should be done by weeks end... gotta figure out this headlight thing. Any help would be appreciated.... trying not to highjack this thread... TOO LATE!

Search for headlight relay mod. Make your own as it will be cheaper, have better wiring and better relays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online