$37.+ for a thermostat & gasket!?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ford house just chargrd me over $37 for a thermostat & gasket! The gasket was 6 + tax!
Someone please tell me "that's too much"!

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rockauto has a Motorcraft thermostat & gasket for $16. Don't feel bad returning parts, I have done it a number of times when I realize I could have bought something cheaper elsewhere or a better quality part.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, everything is bigger in Texas, but really that is a little steep.
23-28 bucks would have been normal

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. My wallet thought that the "stealership" was raking me.
That's Bill Utter Ford in Denton, FYI.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall a dealer named Bob Utter Ford had an ebay sales dept where you could get great deals on ford parts. Might have been better to have asked here where the best place for the parts was. Surely many here could have helped you. why are you wanting to install a thermostat now. Also very pleased to learn your buying the good stuff and not the after market crap that wont work but fits fine. China makes a good looking copy that breaks and falls apart in no time. Several members have found this out the hard way.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck I'd pay $90 for a thermostat, if it were the right one, and worked perfect. After all, its not like your buying them all the time. You ever try to make one? You'd charge a lot more than what you payed.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I paid about $40 at the Navistar stealer a couple years ago. A quality-looking part, in a pretty box. About a year later, my factory temp gauge read low, and my temp gun told me she was running about 160º. :dunno

Installed the $16 Motorcraft recently, as part of my major reassembly. Still not finished, so fingers are crossed! cookoo

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you walk in and they had it in stock? No waiting? No shipping? Gotta pay for convenience if you want it right now. There's a lot to be said for a dealership that stocks parts for a truck that hasn't been made in 20 years.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO....

Better to pay to much for the correct one...than too little for the incorrect one and end up paying for an engine...

JM2CW

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i get mine w/ free 2 day shipping (prime) from amazon for 20 bucks.screw the stealerships.have no mercy for them.they'll screw you if you let 'em.

Heck I'd pay $90 for a thermostat
just let me know when you need one.i'll ship it right to ya free of charge.;Sweet

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oreilly's around here (Georgia) sell thermostats that look just like Ford T stats and you can get it for about $10

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oreilly's around here (Georgia) sell thermostats that look just like Ford T stats and you can get it for about $10

Please don't buy the clone thermostat. They usually are made in China and are a good copy. But thats where it ends. The 3 legs usually break causing horrible cooling issues. Others have tried them not knowing what they had in their engines cooling systems. Then things started breaking. In one members case he opened the thermostat housing just in time. Only one of the 3 legs was still holding the stat together. Cheap usually means just that. Cheap crap that IS going to fail. This forum is very good at finding and PROVING what works and what does not work. There are a lot of us that post both sides of the issues we find with cheap parts. Personally I will never hide something that works or wont work. Then its up to the individual how they proceed from there. I also realize money or shoes for the children speaks loudly.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I guess this didn't quite get through..
IMHO....

Better to pay to much for the correct one...than too little for the incorrect one and end up paying for an engine...

JM2CW

SO

DON"T by cheapanese knock offs or you could invariably be paying for an engine from over heating due to TS Failure, those crapanese knock offs or craptastically cheap from cheapanese land...

DON"T DO IT

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you mentioned it I don't think it lasted all that long cause i have had to change it.

Went with Motorcraft second time.