$300 turbo is givin me a headache

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, ever since i bought this truck ive known i was going to go turbo with it. Well i was surfing the local craigslist and found an add that was posted about a month ago for an older banks setup. he was asking 600 for it, so i offered him 300 cash. after some bickering he sold it to me for 300. all he knew about it was that it was for an IDI and was complete. the turbo has very little up/down play and no front/back play. all the parts are there including the up-pipe, down pipe, turbo pedestle, enough oil lines of various sizes to wrap around the truck twice, the banks boost gauge, banks egt gauge, air box w/ new filter and all new rubber parts for the turbo and such. all the pipe parts are free and not stuck together and there is very little rust on any of it. so im like :D. i get it home and start pullin stuff apart, then i realize the up pipe is on the drivers side. so now im like -cuss is there any way to use this setup on a manual?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, ever since i bought this truck ive known i was going to go turbo with it. Well i was surfing the local craigslist and found an add that was posted about a month ago for an older banks setup. he was asking 600 for it, so i offered him 300 cash. after some bickering he sold it to me for 300. all he knew about it was that it was for an IDI and was complete. the turbo has very little up/down play and no front/back play. all the parts are there including the up-pipe, down pipe, turbo pedestle, enough oil lines of various sizes to wrap around the truck twice, the banks boost gauge, banks egt gauge, air box w/ new filter and all new rubber parts for the turbo and such. all the pipe parts are free and not stuck together and there is very little rust on any of it. so im like :D. i get it home and start pullin stuff apart, then i realize the up pipe is on the drivers side. so now im like -cuss is there any way to use this setup on a manual?
not without custom fab work.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My banks sidewinder wastegated turbo has a two part crossover pipe from the drivers side to the passenger side. Its a two piece pipe so it will fit easily when you assemble the turbo pipes. But once you tighten the u bolt clamps its done because it crushes both pieces of pipe together...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the Banks Sidewinder on my 92 with the castiron down pipe on the pass side, with an E4OD, now I can't get the dip stick in the tranny

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds very similar to my experience. I picked up a non-gated turbo setup, it was a midyear changed. It has the waste-gated airbox and everything just a different downpipe and turbo. This thing must have been for a different transmission because it was a bear to install. I ended up having to cut off an ear of the transmission to get it to fit up in there. I will never do this again lol.

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real question is: what are you going to tell the first person that offers you $300?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a non-gated setup? My old one came off of a 2wd E4OD truck and was installed on both a T-19 and ZF in 4x4's with very minor clearancing on the ZF, no issues on the T19. Drivers side uppipe in that case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle