3" or larger turbo outlets????

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so there is a local company that does cast iron work... http://www.pentictonfoundry.com/

I had a thought and wondered how much interest in a 3" or larger outlet for our IDI engines if one could be cast?

See the part in the picture....it bolts onto the turbine housing with 5 bolts and has the waste gate in it.

I am considering contacting them about doing a lost wax or lost foam casting of the outlet elbow.

Any suggestiongs? I feel the stock type of outlet flange might be hard to do so what type of outlet would you all suggest??

Heck there may be a chance for custom exhaust manifolds too.....let me know....I'll inquire.....

Attachments

• tubo exhaust outlet.JPG
    tubo exhaust outlet.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Are you talking about like turbo exhaust housings? You should try to do that. ATS charges something like $700-800 for a 3" housing and downpipe, if you could do it cheaper, you could make some money (if they bought them through you)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the turbo exhaust housings not the Turbine housing... this is something that has been rattling around in my head like the sound of a DMF

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well then, here is what you need to do. Go find a good muffler shop, and have them bend you up a couple dozen downpipes, that are basically the same as what the ATS kit gives you when you buy the upgraded housing and downpipe. And then all you would need to do, is make a contract with your suppliers, and sell the housing and downpipe as a kit, plus some added money to make it worth your while, and your all set.

I would see if there was any interest before hand, and if there is, test it out and see if it works.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well then, here is what you need to do. Go find a good muffler shop, and have them bend you up a couple dozen downpipes, that are basically the same as what the ATS kit gives you when you buy the upgraded housing and downpipe. And then all you would need to do, is make a contract with your suppliers, and sell the housing and downpipe as a kit, plus some added money to make it worth your while, and your all set.

I would see if there was any interest before hand, and if there is, test it out and see if it works.

That is a reasonable idea about bending up some downpipes, I am just going to contact them about a casting and machining cost at this time. It is my intent to work on the casting part as most exhaust shops in the US could fab up the downpipe alot less costly than the Kanuckleheaded shops up here!:rotflmao

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lot of shops seem to have a problem with that ATS downpipe. Russ was going to offer some at cost, but his supplier flaked on him. The ATS downpipe is pretty nice, but it looks like any decent exhaust shop could make it, I'm confident the guy I usually work with could do it, I was highly impressed with his work on making my crossover pipes...wow. Having a template really helps. Another thing...a 4" housing option might also garner some attention, don't know if it would be practical or help anything performance wise.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Lot of shops seem to have a problem with that ATS downpipe. Russ was going to offer some at cost, but his supplier flaked on him. The ATS downpipe is pretty nice, but it looks like any decent exhaust shop could make it, I'm confident the guy I usually work with could do it, I was highly impressed with his work on making my crossover pipes...wow. Having a template really helps. Another thing...a 4" housing option might also garner some attention, don't know if it would be practical or help anything performance wise.

4" would be seriously pushing it for clearance issues. You would need a real BFH to bend that firewall to make it fit LOL. Probably decrese exhaust temps alot though.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
well i can offer the help of 3-d software and prints if that helps........

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i can offer the help of 3-d software and prints if that helps........

That type of help may indeed need to be called upon....I was reading the foundry's web site and they mention working in CAD with clients so depending on what they say when I take up my outlet for a discussion, there may be a need of your services.

The foundry is only a 45 minute drive from me so it's not far, I go to Penticton to shop on occasion so I'll take it with me then.

Thanks for the support.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
there's no need for a 4" housing on our trucks. 3" is even technically over kill but I'd rather have to big than too small. The exhaust shops around here are all ***** about me putting 4" exhaust on my 6.9. I've walked out on two of them when they got smart with me and both said the same thing... that truck came with 2" exhaust originally and there's no reason for bigger than that on there.
YEA RIGHT!

Here's my 2 cents. Get a housing made for a 3" DP with a v-band clamp, if that design will fit in our trucks. Because, here's my reasoning. The slip in DP's are a PITA and dont seal well most of the time. I'd rather have my DP clamped on in some way. PLUS with a V-band clamp design housing you wont have to worry about infringing on any of ATS's patents, which is a major bonus when they realize everyone is buying from you instead of them and they want to go after you for it.

sassyrel

Reaction score
nebraska--ill bet none of that ats stuff is patended--sooooo. that being said--the ats downpipe--of which i have on on the truck--is mandrel bent--which not many pipe shops can do---the one my brother had would crease the pipe in as it bent-----------i agree--three inch is plenty. but you need mandrel bent for the full three inch effect----:D :D also--my three inch pipe fit real close--and after i welded a piece of iron on the pipe--which i attached to the engine--i never heard a leak---serious-----and im sure after a bit of carbon filled it in---------

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
That type of help may indeed need to be called upon....I was reading the foundry's web site and they mention working in CAD with clients so depending on what they say when I take up my outlet for a discussion, there may be a need of your services.

The foundry is only a 45 minute drive from me so it's not far, I go to Penticton to shop on occasion so I'll take it with me then.

Thanks for the support.

sure let me know if you really want to take this some where and we can start setting up measurments and tolerancing. funny part is i just bought a turbo set up and it will be out of the truck so i should be able to get some measurements.:D

i would agree in that i would prefer not to get burned in any copywright infringments.

streaker

Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents. Get a housing made for a 3" DP with a v-band clamp, if that design will fit in our trucks. Because, here's my reasoning. The slip in DP's are a PITA and dont seal well most of the time. I'd rather have my DP clamped on in some way. PLUS with a V-band clamp design housing you wont have to worry about infringing on any of ATS's patents, which is a major bonus when they realize everyone is buying from you instead of them and they want to go after you for it.

I agree with you on this idea. I looked at how the H-max kit just slipped in ans was looking for the clamp, ***?? I don't really see a problem making it fit really, biggest problem is finding an exhaust housing with the V-band outlet. Then you could just mess with some OBS PSD aftermarket 3in down pipes, and make something work. Then at least you would eliminate a leak at the turbo.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the V band which is the same as stock. I think a nice 3" V band outlet with a nice big flat spot for a Pyro probe would be wonderful.

Keep the ideas going lets discuss this thoroughly and see what it's worth once I go get a rough estimate from them.

If their price is reasonable, I may look at some other pieces too, something along the lines of how the stock PS exhaust manifolds work and discharge into the turbo. It would sure be nice to simplify some of this stuff I tell ya!

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
The turbo I am running is off a T444E/DT466 and it has a 3.5 inch outlet. I got a walker exhaust flange and a v band clamp to go to the turbo and got a box small elows of different angles and and just fit and tack welded till I got what I wanted then welded it all up. And you just made a custom downpipe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online